Photoshop CS3 Guide?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by JohnK-SA, Nov 29, 2007.

1. JohnK-SA

JohnK-SA TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Greetings,
    I am new to computer manipulation of digital photographs. Way back in my youth I was a very keen darkroom addict. I would like to rekindle my interest in photography and DSLR was the obvious way to go. I bought an entry level DSLR (Samsung G1L ( a Pentax lookalike)) and invested in PS CS3 Extended. I am now so totally overwhelmed that I hardly know where to start. I tried to purchase "PS CS3 for Dummies" but our South African supplier cant seem to find a copy. A friend mentioned an e-book 123ds but have no idea what it contains. Can anyone suggest reading material that will get me started and allow me to learn as I go? Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Fiendish Astronaut

Fiendish Astronaut TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. bellavita64

bellavita64 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Try PhotoshopForum.com. If you surf thru the threads, there are all kinds of links for online tutorials. I have learned quite a bit this way. Also, try this link: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics. Good luck!

4. Pirate

Pirate TPF Noob!

I was having some difficulty learning Photoshop 7 recently, and have many books and have looked at many websites. The best learning tool that I have found so far is a computer program by Keyko on the subject. I bought it from ebay for $9.99, it's very simple and makes it easy to learn. No problems running it on my windows vista computer. you may want to try that.

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Other places:

- There are at least 15 photoshop forums that I googled on the net

- YOUTUBE has at least a hundred tutorials and many hundreds more examples of how to do things in CS2-CS3

- My fav is books. Anything with Scott Kelby is ok (if you can put up with his lame humor)

- Lynda.com has many DVDs including one 11 hour series on how to use CS3 in a creative environment. I heard that video was very good.

A google or dogpile will give you thousands of places to search. After that it is upto you to decide what is best for you.

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Walk into any bookshop and I guarantee you'll find a photoshop related book. I suggest though you look in the library first.

7. stubbsk

stubbsk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't rate books for Photoshop. Not because there rubbish, I just picked everything up better from video tutorials. I payed for mine on lynda.com, it's cheap but there should be plenty of free tuts on Youtube. Experiment with different learning tecniques.