Photoshop CS4

Photoshop CS4 will finally be able to take advantage of 64 bit processing which will allow for Photoshop to use more than 4 Gigs of memory. Most processors these days support 64 bit and both Windows XP and Vista have 64 bit versions. Granted that if you hardly use it now for anything demanding then this is no big deal. One thing I like about the move to 64 bit is that plugins will now have more memory too. I've been using OnOne 4 for a while now and it used to be that using 32 bit operating systems would cause constant crashes (I use Vista 64bit). So this is a big plus in my book.

One other thing to add along these lines is the LightRoom 2 is 64 bit compatible too. This is a great option for those people that don't do alot with Photoshop (and its hundreds of $$ cheaper). LightRoom 2 has a brush and spot fixing features which are great for minor edits (and it supports RAW).

Last edited:
is the laggy issue that seems so prominent in the digital painting realm, also a problem with photo editing?

Photoshop CS4 will finally be able to take advantage of 64 bit processing

Worth pointing out that this does not apply to the OS-X version since Adobe was foolish enough to re-write to Carbon on the Intel platform and not Cocoa. Which basically means yet another re-write from Adobe for 64bit Photoshop on the Mac.

Anyone have CS4 yet? I believe it has already started shipping.

I just ordered CS4 and Lightroom 2.0 with my educational discount. I was using Photoshop Elements 5.0. I used the 30 day trial of both CS3 and Lightroom and was convinced in those 30 days that it would be a massive improvement to my workflow.

Anybody care to share where they get the educational price of 80% off. When I log into that part of adobe's site, it comes out to 299 for the educational copy of CS4 which is only about 60% off. Still great, but I wouldn't mind even cheaper since we've been pretty broke lately.

Photoshop CS4 will finally be able to take advantage of 64 bit processing which will allow for Photoshop to use more than 4 Gigs of memory. Most processors these days support 64 bit and both Windows XP and Vista have 64 bit versions. Granted that if you hardly use it now for anything demanding then this is no big deal. One thing I like about the move to 64 bit is that plugins will now have more memory too. I've been using OnOne 4 for a while now and it used to be that using 32 bit operating systems would cause constant crashes (I use Vista 64bit). So this is a big plus in my book.

One other thing to add along these lines is the LightRoom 2 is 64 bit compatible too. This is a great option for those people that don't do alot with Photoshop (and its hundreds of $$ cheaper). LightRoom 2 has a brush and spot fixing features which are great for minor edits (and it supports RAW).

64-bit support is the only reason I would upgrade (16MB RAM!!!) - IF I have the extra cash and were doing it professionally :lmao:

I never figured out LRII during my trial period - can just imagine the learning curve to jump from Elements 5.0 to CS4 :hail:

I have CS4, I'm a graphic designer/printer and downloaded PC and Mac versions the day it was released.

The difference between CS3 and CS4 is amazing, the image manipulation tools are much improved, small details like the clone tool showing a preview of the area it is going to clone in the brush makes that type of work much easier. It does have some features I don't like, like documents opening in tabs, but other features are great.

For instance, the PC version now acts like the Mac version, you can drag images outside the work area and spread them across multiple monitors without having to maximize the work area, that is a feature I love.

For serious photographers the step to CS4 is well worth it, IMHO.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, CS4 has far better memory handling capabilities than CS3, I even have one license loaded on an old 800Mhz Gateway with 500Mb of RAM, it runs fine and never locks the system up, it is way more stable than CS3 was.

Anybody care to share where they get the educational price of 80% off. When I log into that part of adobe's site, it comes out to 299 for the educational copy of CS4 which is only about 60% off. Still great, but I wouldn't mind even cheaper since we've been pretty broke lately.

I was looking at one site earlier, and students & teachers didn't qualify, only non-profits.

That site specific then?

Please post a link for a reputable reseller...

Bummer. Don't qualify if you're in a class, you need to be in a 2 year program.

Oh well...

Looks like they don't offer upgrades, only full versions, so I can upgrade at about the same cost...

The leap forward from CS2 to CS3 was very minor for the limited editing I usually do. Hence I see no reason for myself to upgrade further.

I have been averaging upgrading every other time. Only exception was going from 6 right to 7. Skipped CS, went to CS2, skipped 3 and now just ordered CS4.

The content aware scaling is so cool. I'm able to go back and make some edits of old pics that look much better with this technique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back