Photoshop Elements storage problems

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by robinkay6573, Sep 10, 2007.

1. robinkay6573

robinkay6573 TPF Noob!

Oct 18, 2005
    I don't know if anyone here can help me. I have PSE that I use for ALL my photo editing and storing. Last week I was downloading some photos from my camera and it the organizational part of the program just quit. I can not get that part of the software to work AT ALL! It gets to a certain point in the software and quits responding. The only thing I can think of is the program is full. Is that possible? I cleaned out a bunch of photos (maybe 100) from the Adobe folder...just moved them to another part of my hard drive. I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and that did nothing. I cleaned a bunch of unused programs off my hard drive so I KNOW it is not full. I have probably close to 6000-7000 photos on there.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you have all those photos in the same directory?

I assume you are talking about the file browser. Usually the file browser has to generate the thumbnail views when it opens...which slows it down. I think that it may cache the thumbnail previews, so that it doens't have to regenerate the same images every time it's opened. I suppose it could be possible that you just have too many images that it's bogging down the program when it's trying to generate or read those files.

I suggest that maybe you have a separate place for your image archives. That way, you can load and work on your current files without the archive bogging down the system.

Also, how much RAM do you have? More would probably help.