Pugs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pugsnet.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,

The small IT consulting firm that I work for (as a project manager, not a photographer) is re-doing its marketing materials. They need a couple of photos replaced. I've already completed one and am now working on the other.

I have the photography done; what I need help with is the post-processing. They basically want the new photograph to match the tones/colors of the old one and they want to blur and wash out the background to make it look more like the old one.

Here's the new picture that I took:
DSC_1574 Small.jpg

And here is the old picture that they want it to look like:
Old Image.jpg

I'm using PhotoShop CS3 and am looking for any tips/techniques that will help me to complete this project. We have to have this to our marketing firm by Wednesday morning (I'm a little scared of the deadline!)

Any pointers would be great! Thanks a lot folks!

Last edited:
I noticed in your signature you have a 50mm 1.8 lens that should get the blur you're looking for when used at it's widest aperture setting. A little separation from the background helps too and it appears the old photo was shot into some bright light creating the blown out background. I'm sure some of the Photoshop gurus around here can tell you how to do it in post production but that's how I would do it.

I took a stab at it.... probably doesnt help much...but it's something. I'm sure theres other ppl on here that can do what you're looking for.

DSC_157420Smallcopy.jpg

If you are wanting to use this photo, I would pull into photoshop and duplicate the layer. Then using the brightness/contrast tool, increase the brightness quite a bit. That will increase the contrast some as well. I would duplicate this layer and open the tool again and play with the contrast a bit to get it where you want. It looks like you may want to warm it up a bit as well. You can use the color balance tool, or a photo filter. I would duplicate your layer every step so you can experiment a bit each step without worrying about messing up what you already have. Good Luck.

If you are wanting to use this photo, I would pull into photoshop and duplicate the layer. Then using the brightness/contrast tool, increase the brightness quite a bit. That will increase the contrast some as well. I would duplicate this layer and open the tool again and play with the contrast a bit to get it where you want. It looks like you may want to warm it up a bit as well. You can use the color balance tool, or a photo filter. I would duplicate your layer every step so you can experiment a bit each step without worrying about messing up what you already have. Good Luck.

Thank you! I've figured out how to duplicate layers (I'm knew to PhotoShop) and am putzing with the image now.

And, yes, because of the tight deadline, I don't have time to re-shoot, as much as I'd love to.

I took a stab at it.... probably doesnt help much...but it's something. I'm sure theres other ppl on here that can do what you're looking for.

DSC_157420Smallcopy.jpg

"My pictures are not okay to edit." But in this case, I don't mind as this isn't a photograph that I'm invested in... and I'll be especially forgiving if you describe in exacting detail what steps you took. :)

I noticed in your signature you have a 50mm 1.8 lens that should get the blur you're looking for when used at it's widest aperture setting. A little separation from the background helps too and it appears the old photo was shot into some bright light creating the blown out background. I'm sure some of the Photoshop gurus around here can tell you how to do it in post production but that's how I would do it.

Thanks for the feedback! Actually, I did use the 50mm f/1.8 lens for this picture. I did have the aperture blown all the way open to f/1.8 as well. The problem is that where I had her against the railing to where the back wall is, wasn't far enough to achieve the desired blur.

And, the more I look at the old pic, the more I think that there was significant post-processing done on it.

I really wish I could reshoot, but I'm constrained by the Wednesday deadline.

Thanks again for the feedback!

I realize toofpaste already gave it a try..thought i'd try my hand at it as well.

It's definetly not as bright as your old one. But it's something.
pugshelpfinmy1.jpg

I think i may have overdone the cyan colors :p

I just lens blurred the background and made an adjustment level layer and played with it.

And sorry, I honestly didn't see the Pictures Not Ok to Edit thing....sorry man.

I have a worked up shot if you'd like to see.......

Sure. I just flipped my settings so that for next 24 hours only, my photos are ok to edit! Take advantage of this great opportunity while you can! Limited time only!

Here's my attempt:
DSC_1574 - Reworked Small.jpg

And sorry, I honestly didn't see the Pictures Not Ok to Edit thing....sorry man.

Seriously,

It's okay for this photo. I have that setting flagged so that the pics that I'm actually invested in don't get messed with. But this one... it's not one of my "art" pictures and I have no emotional attachment to it. I'm looking for help and seeing other people's examples really can help. So, I switched the settings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back