Photoshop help please :D

I this particular photo scenario I don't agree with TCimages on technique because the floor still has a blue hue on it. I don't mean to be picky but well I am, but I think although it's much (a bit) more work it's also more accurate.

Just an oversite on my part. I didn't select the floor. I wouldn't say it's not as accurate. I would say it's much easier tho.

Good Morning,

Alright so I am brand new to photoshop. Can anyone please explain to me how I can change a color in a photo? Basically, I want to learn how to change colors :D For example, how would I change the blue in this pic to red?

TIA :D

-Maggie

I'd use layer masks combined with the blue channel for this.

First duplicate the layer. On the duplicated layer, create a layer mask.

If you go into the channels palette, you'll see the Blue channel. This channel shows blue parts as lighter shades of grey going up to white, and where the colour gets further away from blue (or less blue in the colour), it is darker shades of grey going down to black. Select this channel, press CTRL-A, then CTRL-C. This will copy the channel to the clipboard.

Now select the composite RGB channel and go back to the layers pallete.

Now ALT-Click on the layer mask, and the screen will go white (you're looking at the actual layer mask itself). Press CTRL-V, and you will paste the blue channel in there. Basically, this is using the blue channel as a layer mask.

Now, on the duplicated layer, just use the colorise command to change the colour (or any other colour changing command). This should give you a fairly decent starting point. You might need to adjust the levels in the layer mask or even paint a bit in order to limit the changes to the parts you want, and I think you may need to invert the layer mask as well (I'm not sure).

I hope this helps!

Tiberius I've tried your method as an exercise and I can't make it work. I stop at the Colorize command. The only "Colorize" switch I can find is on the Hue/Saturation panel which comes as a new adjustment layer, which would bring me back to my initial approach.

If you have time will you go over it and see what's going wrong please? I'm using CS3.

Ray.

Oh cool I just found something else... If you add a new Hue/Saturation and select blue in the "Edit" box you can affect only the blue in the picture really quickly so the red stripe on the tyre won't need to be masked etc. Then you can change to red and affect the tyre stipe only and so on... Nice!

Tiberius I've tried your method as an exercise and I can't make it work. I stop at the Colorize command. The only "Colorize" switch I can find is on the Hue/Saturation panel which comes as a new adjustment layer, which would bring me back to my initial approach.

If you have time will you go over it and see what's going wrong please? I'm using CS3.

Ray.

When you are doing the hue/saturation, don't do it as an adjustment layer. I think that may be the cause of your problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back