Photoshop help-- toning and colors.

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by cherrymoose, Jul 29, 2007.

1. cherrymoose

cherrymoose TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been wanting to do more portrait photography recently, and have been searching photos on flickr, taken with the same equipment that I have, that obviously have some unique post-processing on them.

As far as I know, the only way to achieve effects like these is by using Photoshop Actions, which Photoshop Elements (what I have) is not compatible with. Does anybody have any other suggestions on similar post-processing?

[​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pabloe/497528629/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebigdurian/90956598/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkhatphotography/745738734/in/photostream/

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Emma,
    Are these your images, or example of what you would like to achive? If they are not yours, please edit your post to show them as links rather than images (as per forum rules).

As for actions...they are nothing more than recorded steps in Photoshop. They are good for helping you to save time by performing the steps automatically. You should learn the technique behind the images that you like (which can be done with Elements)...rather than worry about actions.

3. Chronicle

Chronicle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with big Mike.

4. cherrymoose

cherrymoose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sorry about not linking them, it's late and that must have just slipped my mind. I normally would but... well, I completely forgot. I'll switch them to links right now.

Thanks for that info! Do you know of any online tutorials where I can detailed steps on this sort of processing, or should I just fool around until I come up with something myself?

5. ShaCow

ShaCow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    how do you get these kind of results using actions?... I always thought actions was like a macro recorder...... I would love to learn how to get these effects on some of my images.... any tips would be very apreciated :D

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What you need to know, is what the effect might be called. You could try a search for "Photoshop + Cross Process + Tutorial" and see what you come up with.

7. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Only the last one looks cross-processed. I'll teach you how to do those effects if you want. It should take me about 30 min to write out a protocol that's useable in Elements. Just post up a photo that you want processed like that. I'll edit and post instructions. It's hard for me to do it with my own images because I tend to not shoot with a particular post-processing style in mind.

8. ShaCow

ShaCow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    heh, sorry to be cheeky but could you teach me too :p

9. cherrymoose

cherrymoose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you! I'll try that and see if there's anything helpful.

That would be great, actually. I'm just now uploading some portraits from today, so once I choose one that might look good with cross-processing, I'll either PM it to you or post it here.
    (I don't really shoot with a particular processing style in mind either, but I'm willing to tool around and see if some editing looks good.)

10. cherrymoose

cherrymoose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. glaston

glaston TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think that photo will work for an image like that.
    There's not enough of it.
    No matter where you place the head, it will be apparent that it's the same shot because of the angle and perspective.
    There's no room to creatively crop it because there's already not enough of her head in the frame.

Don't plan your projects based on photos you've already shot.
    Flesh out your idea, then take photos based on what you need to complete the project.
    It's also not good to base your ideas around other work you've seen.
    It's almost like tracing a drawing and calling it an original piece.

I realize that you're learning and looking at other work can help.
    But you don't want to get into a habit of choosing a certain aspect of other work to recreate with your own photos.
    The result of such a habit can be stifling.
    IMO, the best way to learn is to thoroughly plan an ambitious project and see it through.
    This way, when you hit the wall of your current skill you troubleshoot and seek out the information you need to complete the project.
    This is where the real learning happens.

Your work will be different than other work, so don't hold yourself to an idea like that.
    You'll never be satisfied unless it looks real close to the work you based it on.
    There really isn't any artistic value to something like that unless it's an homage to the original artist. Then, still, you want to keep it to a minimum and draw attention only to a specific aspect of the original piece.
    Also, you should make it clear that it's an homage and give credit where it's due.
    Tell a story with your images, or strive for a particular aesthetic effect, subject, color pallet, technique.