Photoshop help!

emt123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been trying to recreate this effect in photoshop... I was able to get close with liquefying a layer and then using a smoke brush on the mask but doesn't come close to how good this pic looks. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or know if there is an available action that I can purchase? Thanks in advance

Please do not post images to which you do not have rights. You may post links.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me this looks like the smoke is real smoke.
Have you ever seen images of real smoke on black background? Photographer Took 100,000 Shots And Spent 3 Months Trying To Capture The Perfect Smoke Shape
  • Those are shot on black with external flash, left and right facing towards the smoke (90°) to camera - make sure, to block the light from the camera.
  • If you invert those images in photoshop (Image/Adjustments/Invert), the background becomes white and the smoke brown.
  • Then you can convert it to Black and white
  • finally create some color effect creating a new layer, filling it with a color and set the layer style of the new layer to screen.
  • Then you copy it to your images with probably the "screen" layerstyle, resize it and mask it to your needs.
Does that make sense, or is it too roughly explained?

Unless you have permission to post the image, please post a link.

no way does that look like real smoke. They look like brushes, probably drawn with a stylus.

I'm assuming it's similar to this technique:

either way it looks poorly done.

no way does that look like real smoke. They look like brushes, probably drawn with a stylus.

I'm assuming it's similar to this technique:

either way it looks poorly done.

You may be right, but I wouldn´t say "no way" - it can definitely be done, using real smoke and it looks as if it was.
There are clearly two repetitive patterns (black one on the helmet and on the mud guard), and I am very certain that at least the basic structure of this effect is real smoke - maybe included into a photoshop action.
Here are two examples of endless options, that you could easily use for an effect like this:
smoke.jpg

yeah, real or fake smoke, im sure it's just a brush shape. and yeah, there are plenty of repeating shapes in that shot.

probably selects the underlying color of the area he wants to add the effect. and then went back in around the back area and "ate-away" at the rider filling him in with some splattered color from the background.

also look at tutorials on how people color shapes with fire -- similar idea here.

I did this YEARS ago:

960x229.webp

1. the sample provided was badly done...
2. I concur: it was a smoke brush
3. There is no "Photoshop action" for this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back