PhotoShop--less is more

I think purism only matters to other purists. In my experience, it certainly doesn't matter to the viewer. And the viewer should be who we all do this for in the first place.

:gasp, choke: I never pick up my camera for the purpose of pleasing some imaginary viewer. I am into this for my own aesthetic expression. If whoever views it gets some pleasure from it, then I am pleased, and my artistic expression may seem more validated, but that is not the driving force for me. I cannot imagine a point in time that it will be.

Well, that would mean it's calibrated to the printer. I can get diffferent looking prints depending on the color management of the printer. I think two different brand printers can also have different looking prints.

Not saying that's not a good standard, just being argumentative.

terri said:
I think purism only matters to other purists. In my experience, it certainly doesn't matter to the viewer. And the viewer should be who we all do this for in the first place.

:gasp, choke: I never pick up my camera for the purpose of pleasing some imaginary viewer. I am into this for my own aesthetic expression. If whoever views it gets some pleasure from it, then I am pleased, and my artistic expression may seem more validated, but that is not the driving force for me. I cannot imagine a point in time that it will be.
Then why would you ever show anyone your work? And I don't entirely mean to please the audiance, but I think that anyone who says they don't care what others might think about their work is lying.

Daniel

drdan said:
Well, that would mean it's calibrated to the printer. I can get diffferent looking prints depending on the color management of the printer. I think two different brand printers can also have different looking prints.

Not saying that's not a good standard, just being argumentative.
I agree. The printer should be calibrated to some standard also. My point was that I wouldn't expect anyone to be printing my work but me or someone I paid to do it, so the prints should look like I expected them to based on what they looked like on my monitor.

Daniel

DanielK said:
terri said:

Then why would you ever show anyone your work? And I don't entirely mean to please the audiance, but I think that anyone who says they don't care what others might think about their work is lying.

Daniel

The human animal is a flocking animal. We all conciously or unconciously seek little groups of people who share our own interrest. We need to "fit in". We all need acceptance and that's why we navigate toward those who have common interrest.

DanielK said:
terri said:

Daniel

Read my words again, maybe a little slower this time. At no point did I say "I don't care what others think of my work." I said just the opposite. I was responding to the comment that "And the viewer should be who we all do this for in the first place. " As if that's the driving reason for one to create art. It's a secondary issue - for me, anyway. I would ask you not to imply I am lying.

terri said:
Read my words again, maybe a little slower this time.
Nice. I'm wishing for an 'ignore' feature right about now. Two posts aimed at me and both of them snotty and condescending.

Good day to you.

Daniel

This is my personal view which I share with you, DanielK. Only you managed to say it before I did and you said it better than I could.

You and I have to much in common for me to intentionly offend you. If it was something I may have said that offended, Please forgive. I never meant anything other than compliments.

The Rebel

DanielK: to clarify: my first post (the gasp, choke) was not meant to be "snotty", or "condescending", merely to comment on a sentence I disagreed with. Perhaps if you knew me better you'd not be so quick to take offense. My next post was merely to further defend a position which you were quick to state I must be lying about.

But, whatever - I am not going to engage in a semantic debate with you; nor will I stoop to name-calling under the guise of being attacked. For a forum newbie, you seem pretty quick to pass judgment. :scratch:

We're actually pretty respectful towards one another around here, and "agree to disagree" peacefully. My earlier comments in this very thread support what I am saying.

DanielK said:
terri said:
Read my words again, maybe a little slower this time.
Nice. I'm wishing for an 'ignore' feature right about now. Two posts aimed at me and both of them snotty and condescending.

Good day to you.

Daniel

dude, that's a little harsh. if you were a little more familiar with the people here, you would know that terri is the last one to condescend or to belittle. i do believe you have misinterpreted her words. i think she was merely trying to say that for her, her need to express herself is the driving force behind her work, not the reception of the audience. the catalyst to her art is intrinsic, visceral, and highly personal.
your statement that anyone who opines contrary to you is a liar is a little inflamatory, given that this site is dedicated to personal expression. chill out a little, man- get to know the people here and i guarantee you will be glad you did. take the time to get to know her, and you will see that terri meant no offense, and that she is truly one of the kindest and gentlest people you will meet online.
peace dude,
-t

Osmer_Toby said:
take the time to get to know her, and you will see that terri meant no offense, and that she is truly one of the kindest and gentlest people you will meet online.
I'm completely open to that possibility, but it works both ways. Just because I'm new here doesn't mean I'm automatically in the wrong.

And I'm open to the possibility that it was just because I didn't know her, but I still felt like I was being talked down to and insulted. Being that I'm new and no one knows me, I could have simply been asked to clarify what I meant.

But it's water under the bridge. Let's just forget it.

Daniel

DanielK said:
Osmer_Toby said:
take the time to get to know her, and you will see that terri meant no offense, and that she is truly one of the kindest and gentlest people you will meet online.
I'm completely open to that possibility, but it works both ways. Just because I'm new here doesn't mean I'm automatically in the wrong.

Daniel

no, you're not automatically wrong just because you are new here. but your reaction and your words were pretty strong; there was quite a bit of poison in your tone.

i'm glad, though, that you feel it is water under the bridge. i'm sure we can all agree on that one! :wink:
all's well that ends well.:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back