Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Jon_Are, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Help me understand post-processing software...

I own Photoshop Elements; is this enough for my (very basic) needs? For instance, I doubt I'd want to do much beyond adjusting color saturation, sharpness, and other minor tweaks.

As I read the forum, though, I see much discussion about Lightroom. is this generally considered a tool for serious amateurs and pros? What does it do compared to what I already own (PSE)? I was a bit surprised by the cost of it.

Also, once I get my DSLR (soon), I expect I'll be shooting mostly in RAW; not sure if that makes a difference with regard to my questions.

Thanks,

Jon

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Photoshop Elements is an excellent program; it contains most of the most-used functionality of the full version at a fraction of the price. You can also look at PaintShop Pro, and The Gimp (Free, but a little less user-friendly some might say). In short, yes, I would say that PSE will meet your needs in the near term.

Lightroom is a RAW handler, meant for doing the initial processing of RAW files. If you're shooting in RAW, you will need a RAW handling utility, but there are free ones out there, as well less expensive commercial ones. Lightroom is however, one of the best.

3. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Might I take this question a bit further...I too own Photoshop Elements 6 and not only had the same questions as the OP, but also if one was to buy lightroom in the future, is elements no longer needed? Meaning, are all of the tools/features in elements also in lightroom?

Derrick

4. jg123

jg123 TPF Noob!

You should both download lightroom 2 beta so you can try it out. I am a beginner and am finding it pretty easy to understand.

5. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

There are dozens of photo editors that can do what you want, Jon. All of them cheaper than Photoshop or Lightroom. Look here for a line-up. Shareware applications typically cost you $ 30 to $ 40. Freeware apps are, well... free of course.

Have fun!

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well lightroom is (from what I understand) good at doing batch processing and organisation - batch work is something that elements does not do (though I have read that it can be done somehow).
    Elements contains all that a new person will need and will work very well for many years to come. There is not only a good amount of info on using it,but there is also a host of downloads and upgrades you can add to it to get some functionality that the full photoshop has (all are 3rd party updates).
    Some people consider lightroom better for batch work whilst elements offers some more specific work options.
    Elements will convert RAW files so there is no need to get lightroom to do this -- most people that get lightroom do so because they are takinga lot of shots (work) and need to get the post processing over quicker

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great answers, everyone.

OK, a very specific question:

I want to avoid washed-out colors, boring pale skies...I want colors that pop.

Will Photoshop Elements (and, I guess, an appropriate (polarizer?) lens filter) accomplish this?

Jon

8. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Photoshop elements is capable of producing some wonderful results in the right hands. Don't expect to do some crazy tweaks with it, but for getting good color, sharpness, etc., it's an amazing utility for the price.

I use lightroom just about every day and it's miles ahead of photoshop in terms of batch processing. I mostly use it for basic exposure tweaks and color correction, and it does it's job wonderfully. If I had to do color correction in Photoshop, it would take me atleast twice as long.

9. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But when Jon (the original poster) buys his first DSLR, the camera software allows batch processing....doesn't it? My Canon came with DPP, however I never batch process anyways. I usually get 3 keepers per 100 shots. LOL Do other brands of cameras come with a similar type of software?

10. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    But I suspect that the camera software is weaker than lightrooms - things like sharpening, noise reduction and such would be considerably better in something like lightroom

11. husky_mom

husky_mom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WOW!!....*picks up jaw from floor*.......WOW....

what a great capture...

btw... the "thing" in his mouth was a seal... in some pics you can clearly see the fins ("feet")

12. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    you lost?
    ;)