Photoshop made you lazy?

I think post processing has made a lot of good photographers think their skills are somewhat lacking after seeing the work of photographers who heavily post process, when their own work would look just as amazing if they had used photoshop. I think it is good to see the before and after images when a lot of post processing has been done.

Here's a thought - what did photographers do years ago before digital cameras, photoshop and computers were around? Did they just not photograph a spectacular view that could be composed from one angle only, because there was an annoying sign or pole etc. in one small portion of it? Or did they take the shot and accept it for what it was? I like that photoshop exists, and it is useful, but I do feel its relied on too often - much like a child who should be learning in school but reaches for the calculator instead of the pen and paper to do the matmatical calculation. Just my opinon.

What did surgeons do before the advent of anesthesia.
Things change.

Here's a thought - what did photographers do years ago before digital cameras, photoshop and computers were around? Did they just not photograph a spectacular view that could be composed from one angle only, because there was an annoying sign or pole etc. in one small portion of it? Or did they take the shot and accept it for what it was? I like that photoshop exists, and it is useful, but I do feel its relied on too often - much like a child who should be learning in school but reaches for the calculator instead of the pen and paper to do the matmatical calculation. Just my opinon.

Actually, my mother and I were sorely tempted to take an axe and chop down the sign or pole in the way. With great difficutly we resisted the temptation.:sexywink: We either risked life and limb...I dropped a lens and caught it on the very edge of cliff or we changed lenses and were stuck with less than great angles and framing. I much prefer Photoshop and postprocessing. :wink:

skieur

I see amazing work from traditional and non traditional photographers. I think that it is important to consider the shot first and the process second. Does not matter how you get there. Clearly photography can be taken on many different levels. That is the beauty of it.

Love & Bass

Believe it or not, most Basic post processing procedures can be done in a dark room. Cropping, boarders and even watermarking can be done with prints from film with out the use of a computer. However the the intrusive signs and power poles had to be composed into the shot or croped off (if it was close enough to the edge.)

When I am taking pictures of a horse running around an arena and jumping fences in bright sunlight I don't always have a "minute" to adjust my settings perfectly. PS has helped me save many images.

Most reactions

Back