Photoshop or Lightroom?

AMiller21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope this is the right place to ask this....
I currently have PS Elements 8. I am looking to upgrade, and wondered first what the differences are between CS and Lightroom. Secondly, if I could only afford one, which would be best to have?
I do not shoot professionally full time, only part time now. I mostly do equine photography, and have recently done people. (but my main focus is equine) I will always be outdoors. So, what do you all think would be best for me? Here is a link to my thread containing a few of my photos if you want to see : http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...hese-few-my-favorites-i-have-done-equine.html

Thanks!!!!!

Both. Well if only one...LR does most of what I need, most of the time but in no way is LR a substitute for Photoshop.

Lightroom AND photoshop.

Apples and oranges. Really... Lightroom is a workflow and raw processing application. Photoshop is a heavy-duty image editng application. If you are on a limited budget, my choice would be LR and PS Elements.

Oh how I love equine photography and riding!!! My fav thing to photograph also!! I have both but def use LR more then CS5. But thats kinda b/c I'm still on the learning curve for cs5. Cs5 can do more then LR but LR can def do all your basic stuff. cs5 is obviously much more expensie then LR.

Apples and oranges. Really... Lightroom is a workflow and raw processing application. Photoshop is a heavy-duty image editng application. If you are on a limited budget, my choice would be LR and PS Elements.

Thanks! I was about to ask if I could swing PSE8 and LR for now... one day I may get CS5. I may go with getting LR for now.... much easier on the wallet! ;)

If I had to pick just ONE software application, it would be Lightroom. I've been using Photoshop since version 2.5, back when computers had very small slow hard drives, like 500 or 750 megabytes (yes! megabytes!) and when simple things like rotating an image 2 degrees took 30 seconds...and I am almost a complete newbie to Lightroom...and I would have to say, Lightroom is the single most versatile importing, editing, and publishing-to-web application you can get for a reasonable amount of money.

Lightroom. It's great for managing photos and edits. It is designed for photography and photographers. Obviously, if you're looking for super advanced editing, then Photoshop is the way to go.

You can use photoshop without lightroom and all you'll lose is ease of workflow. If you try to use lightroom without photoshop you'll be severely limiting yourself.

Most people use both.

Can it be used with PSE8 for now? I will save up for cs5.....

What is elements not doing for you that you wish it could? If youre just a hobbyist I'd say probably keep elements for heavier editing and throw in lightroom for ease of work flow.

What is elements not doing for you that you wish it could? If youre just a hobbyist I'd say probably keep elements for heavier editing and throw in lightroom for ease of work flow.

Main thing I import some of my photos from lightroom into PS5 for is its "content aware" functionality for selecting and removing things from the pics. Elements doesn't cut it.

I really like Elements 10. It designed for photographers and has lots of grunt on a decent computer.. and is way cheaper than CS5! Lightroom, as mentioned is great for workflow - especially keeping track of those 1,000++ images :)

Main thing I import some of my photos from lightroom into PS5 for is its "content aware" functionality for selecting and removing things from the pics. Elements doesn't cut it.
PS 5 is old, old, Photoshop.

CS5 is PS 12.

Most reactions

Back