Photoshop or Lightroom?

Version CS6 of Photoshop is currently available for free...but it's the Beta (pre-release/test) version.

So you could try it out for a while. Also, don't save up for CS5, because it will have been replaced by CS6 by the time you've saved enough.

I agree with the suggestion to use LR and Elements.

Image editing in Photoshop Lightroom is done in the Develope module. The Develope module's edit rendering engine is Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). Photoshop Lightroom 4 uses ACR 7

Elements 8's Camera Raw has a truncated version of ACR 6. Photoshop CS6, currently in public BETA testing, will also have the full version of ACR 7.

Plus, CS5/CS6 includes Bridge, which is used for image organization and management. While Lightroom is a database management application, Bridge is a browser.

ACR first appeared in Photoshop 7 (CS5, is Photoshop 12). Photoshop 8 was the first Photoshop to be called CS, but it was called CS, not CS1. PS 8 (CS) used ACR 2

Photoshop 9: CS2 - ACR 3 - Bridge 1
Photoshop 10: CS3 - ACR 4 - Bridge 2
Photoshop 11: CS4 - ACR 5 - Bridge 3
Photoshop 12: CS5 - ACR 6 - Bridge 4
Photoshop 13: CS6 - ACR 7 - Bridge 5

Lightroom 1 - ACR 4
Lightroom 2 - ACR 5
Lightroom 3 - ACR 6
Lightroom 4 - ACR 7

Last edited:
If you can efford it, get both as they do work well together. In my opinion, if I could only have one it would be Photoshop. Lightroom is great front end for PS and is very strong at organizing your photos but has a rather limited number of editing and effects features. Photoshop when used with Bridge is really pretty good at organizing. Photoshop has endless editing capability which I love. If I play around with PS from now on I don't think I will ever learn all there is to know about this program. It is that big.

The fact that this question is even up points to the fact that Adobe is having huge problems with product features and positioning. Shouldn't Lightroom be Elements+?
Nice of them to quietly kill the geotagging and Smugmug integration out of Elements 10, by the way.
Steps backward, not forward.

The fact that this question is even up points to the fact that Adobe is having huge problems with product features and positioning. Shouldn't Lightroom be Elements+?
Nice of them to quietly kill the geotagging and Smugmug integration out of Elements 10, by the way.
Steps backward, not forward.
I wouldn't stand for it, if I were you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back