photoshop photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by lako16, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lako16

lako16 TPF Noob!

hey guys well i was wondering if photographers use programs such as photoshop to adjust their images before selling/publishing them??? Is it not allowed by the people they sell the rights to or photographers just dont do it??? Or is there a difference from what kind of pictures you can use it on or not??? I know it may seem like a really stupid question but i really dont know the answer. I hope photographers dont use these programs cause it seems really hard. Thanks!!!

2. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes we do and so should you. The images coming off of a dSLR need some basic improvements like sharpening and saturation boost in the least. But yes most photographers are using Photoshop these days.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Every photographer will run her/his images through a post-processing application such as Photoshop. No image is ever as good as it could be coming out of the camera; just like in the days of the wet darkroom, you can burn, dodge, colour-correct, etc to get the best possible final product.

4. TheUndisputed

TheUndisputed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photoshop is a MUST. There are always attributes of a photograph that could be enhanced a little bit. I have friends who do edit their RAW's before print, and some who don't. I will also tell you that the one's who do have a MUCH larger clientele, and more people are attracted to their work.

The ones who don't, aren't doing that well.

5. lako16

lako16 TPF Noob!

well i do i have a program like picasa that i edit the lighting and sharping etc. in but what kinds of things could u do more in photoshop that you cant do in programs like picasa

6. TheUndisputed

TheUndisputed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let me show you:

BEFORE PHOTOSHOP
    [​IMG]

AFTER PHOTOSHOP
    [​IMG]

You can do ANYTHING in photoshop. Courtesy of DornonPhotography.Com for the picture.

7. lako16

lako16 TPF Noob!

I was also wondering how much time you have to take out of your personal life and dedicate to photography to get better and improve

8. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Your not allowed to do too much in photoshop for newspaper work

9. dmatsui

dmatsui TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It would sound as if your suggesting that like with piano you should set a target number of hours to photograph a day. I believe that you shouldnt think like that. If you really enjoy photography you'll end up spending allot of time on it instinctively and you'll naturally improve over time. Time spent on photography doesnt only involve taking pictures, it also involves reading books, viewing other photos as well as critiqueing them, editting your images in photoshop.
    It may just be me but i find that photography is my personal life. Though to be honest with you i'm not sure what wouldnt be considerded ones personal life.
    Therefore the more time one spends on photography, the better one will get.

10. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Photoshop is hardly a "must". Several photographers can and DO go without any post work.

11. TheUndisputed

TheUndisputed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sounds like the words of a P*ssed off photographer that cant afford photoshop. I have never in my life heard a photographer "do without" photoshop.

I will give you credit. You are right, somewhat. SOME photographers can take fairly good shots and get by just fine without Photoshop. HOWEVER, even THOSE shots can be enhanced 10x in Photoshop. Photoshop can do nothing but make an image better if you know how to use it.

Take the image set I posted above. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get that same shot, even if it were in the direct sunlight. The picture looks great without the photoshop work. However, Let's say you wanted the dramatization of the sun being in the photograph. You change your angle, and shoot. Bam, all the sudden you have either too much exposure from the sun and the car is under exposed, or the car shows up great and you aren't getting the results from the sun that you want. SO, Photoshop allows you to add what ever you want into a photograph, where your camera is lacking.

You can't sit here and dis photoshop. Every credible professional photographer uses it.

12. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And that is where it becomes graphic art and not photography. Photography in and of itself is recording an image onto a medium of some sort be it digital or film or what have you. Once you start adding elements into a photo that arent there you are not talking photography anymore.

The problem I have with right now is that people use photoshop to "fix" and issue with a photograph because they dont have the skill to achieve the look they desire through using the tools of a photographer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.