Photoshop quality problem

skiboarder72

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshjonesphoto.com
Ok, this isn't the hugest problem in the world but when i open up a .jpg file in photoshop it seems to apear more grainy, and washed out (almost like photoshop automatically adjusted some color/contrast brightness settings before it opened it). Well when i have the picture open side by side with the one i am viewing in windows the photoshop one looks alot more grainy. If i open the same .jpg file in ImageReady it will look identical to the windows version of it.

Here is what is really interesting, when i save the file in photoshop, then i look at the picture i just opened and saved in photoshop, in windows it appears just like the original. My guess is that there is some setting in photoshop that tells it to change some color settings when i open the picture in there, then switch them back before i save it.

Let me know if you have any ideas, thx!

Yes, photoshop has color management. What color space are you working with in photoshop, compared to your monitor space? If you have Photoshop set to Adobe RGB, and your monitor is sRGB you'll see a big difference in vibrancy of colors.

I have no idea why a photo would appear grainy though.

check what percentage you have the jpg appearing at... if your photo is too large to fit in the photoshop area, it will reduce it to 66.7% or 50%, 25% and so on, which looks terrible.

when you scan a photo (or neg) for the most part it scans at 300dpi. This looks much differnt in photoshop then in windows picture viewer because photoshop gives you the whole immage and not a preview. That should be the cause of your grain. If you reduce the immage size some of that should go away.

if this is any help, when i open the pictures in imageready they look just like they do in windows... its just alittle annoying to wonder what my photoshop picture is going to look like in windows

its alittle brighter in photoshop (which brings out alittle grain in some of the pictures) and it seems to play with the colors alittle too...

played around with some of the preferences in photoshop... nothing

Fixed it, just for reference, if anyone else is having this problem, under view > proof setup you have to put it on Monitor RGB, mine was set at windows RGB

thx for your help guys, right on the money matt ;)

My PS is checked at working CMYK. I really should know the difference but since I've bene out of school for almost 2 years and I havent played with it because everything works great together I have no idea what the difference is unless I play with it and I'm afraid to :(

when i save an image in photoshop it is really sharp and good, and normally in RGB, but when i open it again, mine is all grainy and jagged. it also says it is in 'index' mode instead of RGB. why is this? sometimes when i go to mode and change it back to RGB it goes nice again, but still not as good as the original! thanks!

Mine always comes up in working CMYK, but it looks like it does in windows because i went Edit > Color Settings > And set RGB to monitor settings, now it always comes up looking like it does in windows :wink:

Most reactions

Back