Photoshop Question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by projectmayhem160, Jul 17, 2008.

1. projectmayhem160

projectmayhem160 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've noticed when people critique my photographs the word "photoshop" is said often. For example, "you can really make that color pop with photoshop" or "if you would just photoshop that out of there it would be perfect." I feel that using photoshop is like cheating, that I should get the ideal picture when I'm behind the camera and not create it on my computer later.

My question is, is there anyone here that is against using photoshop? If you are, why?

2. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    To not use the tools you have would be silly. People have been manipulating their images in a film darkroom for decades.

I mean, really, if you're using a DSLR and shooting RAW they tend to NOT be as sharp and saturated out of the camera than a P&S Jpeg on purpose. The makers do it on purpose. It's a better thing. I want control over my photos.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't particularly like overmanipulated images, but that's personal taste. I also DO use PS to adjust things a bit as I see necessary. Then again, in the 35mm days, I did alot of work in the darkroom to make things look just right. I was taught early on to try to make the image as good as possible in the camera to save lots of darkroom (Photoshop) work later on. I'd rather spend my time behind a lens than at the computer monitor.

4. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit

While that's true for composition, etc. I would really like to stress to the OP that sharpening, saturation, etc. "photoshop" is a part of near every, if NOT every professional digital photographer's workflow.

5. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No argument here and, as I said, I do use it just as I cropped, dodged, burned, etc. in the darkroom. I just try to minimize what I need to do with it.

6. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think cheating is a harsh word. PS can be used to make an average photo stunning and make a stunning photo the best thing you've ever done, what's wrong with that? It seems like a masocistic pursuit of perfection to disgard good shots because you didn't capture it exactly how you wanted it.

I imagine every photographer's proudest moments are the shots which needed no editing though and the aim is to get more of those moments.

7. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wouldn't exactly say it's done on "purpose". RAW images are soft due to the anti-aliasing filter on the sensor. This reduces the sharpness of the image in order to reduce aliasing in diagonal lines and Moire in details that are fine and repetitive.

8. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Photoshop is only bad when you are constantly using it to correct crappy photos to begin with. Post processing and any "after effects" should be used to enhance an image.

As long as you are aiming for correct exposure in the camera, then I don't see anything wrong with Photoshop.

Sometimes you do have to use it to clone stuff out, I don't believe that's bad.

9. K8-90

K8-90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think of it in terms of plucking eyebrows.:lol:
    Some eyebrows need a little work to be the best they can be. But you want to maintain the integrity of the original photo, I mean eyebrow. As in, it should still look like the original when speaking of it's shape. You can't make it something it is not. And you have to carefull of over plucking :lmao:

10. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it is a good artistic exercise to be minimalist -- to try to get along without PS -- to improve your skill as a photographer, not just as a technician. But, as Mike30D points out, those of us who shoot in RAW need sharpening tools. I kept getting comments that my images were soft until I learned that. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong (and I have less and less of that hair to afford to be able to do that).

11. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally never sharpen any of my photos and rarely change the saturation. And I don't have anything against slight adjustments in Photoshop, it's great for small corrections. It just shouldn't be used to rescue poorly shot pictures because the effects become obvious and often result in poor prints (which look decent on a monitor). Still, as a beginner I often used these techniques myself and their flaws only became obvious over time. And I've also seen some great work from people who are really good at these adjustments, it just strikes me as digital art and not necessarily photography in the traditional sense.

12. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, I'm not sure it's less photography than darkroom manipulations were .... depends, I guess ...