Photoshop tips + c&c

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mikedadude, Feb 3, 2010.

1. mikedadude

mikedadude TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok.. so, I've been lurking and see that the slightest of photoshop adjustments can make a picture a whole lot better... So I had a go, bearing in mind I'm a newbie.. I was wondering whether you guys could tell me how to better these pictures in future.

Original (#1):
    [​IMG]

Auto-tone (#2):
    [​IMG]

Auto-tone+shadow highlights (15% and 5%) (#3):
    [​IMG]
    The above + Magenta filter (15%) (#4):
    [​IMG]

Or should I just stop worrying about post-edit and only focus on taking a semi-decent picture for once? :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Foxman

Foxman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Since you asked, personally I am not a big fan of any of the shots overall in part because the foreground is too dark to have any definition.

FWIW the snow looks more accurate in 2 & 3.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The only part of the original image with a correct exposure is the sky.

If you had made 2 exposures, 1 for the sky and one for the buildings, you could have combined them and had a nice image.

You don't mention the format of the original nor which version of Photoshop you have.

If it were my image I would do most of the editing in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW).

4. mikedadude

mikedadude TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ya sorry about that KmH, Photoshop CS4 and it was jpeg fine setting.

As for taking two different photographs, is that possible without a tripod? Cause I assume it wouldn't look right...

Perhaps I could photoshop the bottom part of the photo to be more exposed? Would that help things? Or is the photo just crap.

I used this photo not because I think it's a great picture, but just cause it seemed like a decent one to practise one.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes you'd need a tripod. That's why advanced amateurs and pro's usually have one at hand.

6. burstintoflame81

burstintoflame81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can use Camera Raw's Adjustment brush to paint in exposure or take it away. You can also use Photoshop to mimic a split ND filter. You can use a gradiant to adjust the bottom portion and then copy the picture and do another gradiant to effect the top of the picture. I kinda like the original picture in terms of the time of day it is showing. I think you lose that in your final edit. You also gain a bunch of noise in the building areas from cranking up the brightness of them. The main thing wrong with the picture is the composition, it just doesn't do anything for me. I think the tree on the right just detracts from the sky/mountains which should be the main focus of this composition. ( unless you are shooting pictures for a time share brochure and want to show off the buildings. )