Fate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidhedgesphotography.carbonmade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heya all,

i know generally people want to remove vignetting in their pics. but i recon one of my pics would benefit from it!

SO i was wondering, how do you do it in photoshop? is there a good way of getting it even on all four sides of the photo.

ty Dave!

I usually add a vignette to my images. If it's a vignette that is caused by something (too small of a hood etc) then yes, I'll usually crop it out.

I normally use the burn tool in Photoshop and add it where I think it's needed...which means it's almost never even on four sides. It's easy to do though, if that's what you want.

I think there might be a vignette tool in Photoshop or maybe in Adobe Camera RAW.

To do it manually:
Use the marquee tool (rectangle/circle selection) and select a circular area and drag it to fit your image. Now feather the selection (select --> feather). Use a large pixel number...but it will depend on the resolution of your image. Now, what I would do would be to use that selection on a layer mask for a solid color layer...so you might want to start with the layer & then make the selection. Once the vignette is made, you can adjust the mask and opacity of the layer to suit.

Another option would be to add a gradient. You can choose a circular gradient and play with the options.

The best method I have found is select all, and then select modify border. The size of the border will vary depending on image size. For an 8x10" I usually do a border of 200, and then 200 again, and then select, modify, feather by 250. Now make a levels adjustment layer. There are a number of options now. Lower the midtones, bring in the shadows, or grab the bottom right highlight slider and bring it left, changing the whitepoint. If the effect is not strong enough, click on the layer mask, and press ctrl+L to adjust the levels of the mask. By raising the midtones, you'll increase the effect evenly, and if you increase the highlights, you'll get a darker effect near the edges.

This method is great because you can continually adjust the vignette to suit your taste, and it is even on all sides.

vignetting is the last thing I do, I use the burn tool and do it to the midtones, shadows, highlights, or a combination for control. The vignette tool in the lens distortion filter is the worst way to do it, for obvious reasons just by looking at it.

and like mike, I add it to most of my edited images for artistic porposes. For assignments, usually not, unless I've been given the freedom.

I use the sliders (in the tab titled 'Lens') in ACR CS2.
It's a superb tool!

and for those of you who dont know what ACR means (took me a minute to figure it out) thats adobe camera raw

Most reactions

Back