Photoshop vs Gimp

FIN13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi - I am trying to take photos of rooms, and then cut out each wall to import them into a Unity3d game. Is Gimp easier for this? I am having a hard time controlling the lines in Photoshop.

I can't speak for PS, but the Free Select Tool in GIMP seems like it should work just fine for you. I can't image PS not having a similar tool.

What Photoshop selection tool were your using?

From your not very good description of what you're trying to do I am guessing you'd likely want to use the Polygonal Lasso Tool to make a selection corner to corner to corner to corner of a wall.
Activate the tool, click in the first corner, move the cursor to the next corner, click, move to the next corner, etc.
You wind up back at the first corner, click one last time to complete the rectangle

The pen tool in PS is the best for complex selections, 'though it does take a little practice to master. The Polygonal Lasso is a bit crude.

Sorry my description is bad because I am new at using this software. So the room walls are not exactly square. I keep getting these sticky lines like spider webs with photoshop and it drives me crazy.

Whenever I'm confused with photoshop, Phlearn is my go-to for tutorials. I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do, but here's a few links that might help:

The pen tool in PS is the best for complex selections, 'though it does take a little practice to master. The Polygonal Lasso is a bit crude.
Yep. the Pen tool is best for making lines that aren't straight.
I would say the pen tool takes a lot of practice to master.

" I keep getting these sticky lines like spider webs with photoshop . . ." I laughed out loud when I read that.

Most reactions

Back