photoshop

vlmason8199

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the best way to learn photoshop? I have CS5 and I am totally lost? I had an older version once before but never could get it figured out so lost interest. I now am getting more into photography and realize it is a must!

Lynda.com > Instructor Deke McClelland.

Start at the basic course and work your way up through the lessons. You can't beat this for properly learning in a formatted step-by-step course that starts with the basics and builds on each thing as you learn.

Open CS5.
Across the top of the workspace find "Help". Click on "Help."
In the drop down box click on "Photoshop Help".

In the web page that accesses (Adobe Community Help), click on "Getting Started and Tutorials".

Last edited:
Lynda.com is an amazing :thumbup: website to watch tutorials for not just CS5 but almost any software out there, but it is not free. You could watch a few introductory videos for free but that's about it. The subscription fee ranges between $25 to $37.50 a month depending on account set-up.

You could try to find some free tutorials,tips and tricks online as well.

Checkout,

Brilliant Adobe Photoshop CS5 Tutorials From 2010 - Noupe Design Blog

YouTube - SuperPSTutorials's Channel

YouTube - myrrah's Channel

YouTube - LordReserei01's Channel

YouTube - Sameer's Channel

Photoshop CS5 Tutorials: 70+ Creative Tips | designrfix.com

Free New Adobe CS5 Tutorials: 17+ Hours of Online Video Training | ProDesignTools

Just surf the web to find more free vids and tips.

Or you could simply pay and learn hands on with instructors exercise files on the premium account of Lynda.com, which has a $375 annual subscription fee.

Good Luck :peacesign:

You will find great tutorials at Lynda.com. You could also check out YouTube, lots of useful PS tutorials out there, each tackling different techniques for different skill levels.

Hi,

Honestly, I think the best way to learn any program is just to spend an hour or two playing around with it every day. Nothing breeds familiarity than familiar of use.

If books aren't good enough for you, and I do agree to a certain extent, I would recommend a class at a local community college. Some community colleges offer advanced courses for programs such a PhotoShop, and they may be of help. I've heard some good stories about some on-line video tutorials, but I've never used any myself, especially when you consider that most of them require a fairly hefty membership or delivery fee.

I would agree with photographyxfactor, find a local community college or technical school in your area and see what they have to offer. A lot of the colleges where I live give weekend courses, a few Saturdays in a row (full day) or a couple of evenings a week over a couple of months. These courses are often at the introductory level and some even give advanced courses, once you have finished the introductory level one. If you don't have access to "college or tech school", then something like linda.com is a good bet. In your case, I suspect that the real thing you need is just a few introductory sessions and then you can proceed from there with a good Photoshop book.

If you don't need all the bells and whistles that come in CS5 (and its price) and most folks starting out do not, then you may want to look at its Cousin Lightroom, or at its lesser child Photoshop Elements. I have CS5 and Lightroom and I find that most of my editing/post-processing can be done in Lightroom, leaving the pixel-level tasks for CS5. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Personally, long before I became interested in Photography I started with web design for which I used Photoshop, I didn't really get taught anything from anyone else such as online courses, teachers etc I just messed around with it, use tutorials for things I couldn't figure out and just taught myself.

When I got my first full version of Photoshop CS4, I bought the "CS4 Classroom in a book". Here's the CS5 version.

It's superb. It goes through everything from adjusting contrast to replacing backgrounds and complex layers and colour channels work. It has a CDROM with it with preloaded images to use and you just follow the step-by-step instructions for each project in the book, learning how to do everything along the way.

I highly recommend this book to anyone - even more experienced PS users.

Just as an FYI ... the original post in this topic is over a year old. Even though the new information posted may be useful to others I suspect the OP has gotten his answer by now.

Just as an FYI ... the original post in this topic is over a year old. Even though the new information posted may be useful to others I suspect the OP has gotten his answer by now.

Bugger, I didn't notice that. It was whoever resurrected it's fault, blame them, blame THEM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back