Picasa 2, or I can't afford no CS2!

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by RMThompson, May 2, 2007.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all, for a long time I've wanted to ask everyone about their photo editing software. The industry standard is, by far, Photoshop CS2, but since I am po' I don't have a copy.

So I've been using Picasa 2, free from Google, and I tell you once I figured everything out, it's REALLY quite an amazing little program.

Sure there are things it cannot do, selective color, curves, stamps, etc, but I have a copy of Photoshop 6.0 I can use for that, and I also use "The GIMP" free Photoshop clone for some things.

I find though that Picasa 2 REALLY speeds my workflow up! I can upload the pictures directly THROUGH Picasa 2 (Ive never loaded the Nikon software onto the computer yet... I should probably do that), and then it files everything for me so I can easily scroll through my entire collection of photos.

So what are YOU guys using? I have the last BETA of Lightoom from Adobe too, but I dont really know what the hey im doing in it to get anything done...

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are many options. Adobe Photoshop Elements can do most of the stuff that the full Photoshop programs can do...and it's only about $100.

I use Raw Shooter Essentials, great little RAW editing program, and it was a free download.

I am probably going to get Lightroom someday...I was going to buy it in April, while it was $100 off...but I got stuck at an airport and didn't make it home until it was May 1st...discount period is over.

3. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For organization, I'm using Picasa, for editing I'm using PSE5 and Nikon's Capture NX.

4. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you can't afford Photoshop, check out it's open source alter-ego of The Gimp - at the price of free, it's worth a shot! As for me I use Lightroom & PS CS2 mainly, but raw shooter essentials and nikon capture nx as well

5. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOVE THE GIMP!

6. lasershot

lasershot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I find picasa one of the most essential tools that a photographer can use. I also enjoy the GIMP for small fixes. I haven't been in photography long enough to consider buying something large like CS2...

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I personally prefer the colour and dynamics produced by Lightroom rather than Nikon's software. I strongly urge people to learn Lightroom it really works very well.

8. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For RAW I use the program that came with my Xti. I just recently acquired Picasa2. I still haven't figured it all out, but it's great for organizing everything. CS2 for all major editing.

9. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I use CS2. I have to upgrade my machine before I get lightroom, but that is definitely the next step.

Love & Bass

10. (Ghastly) Krueger

(Ghastly) Krueger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got a free copy of elements with my $100 hp printer. At the time, I didn't even know what it could do... worth checking out.

11. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have Capture NX, iPhoto (which is actually really good), CS2 and Aperature 1.5...

90 percent of my retouching is done in Capture NX, 9 percent done in iPhoto and about 1 percent in CS2 (basically, just the bit-by-bit editing).

I couldn't care a bit about "industry standards," I ain't no industry, just a guy who shoots pictures of critters.

12. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    BTW I am just learning Aperture, it will not doubt replace iPhoto and cut into Capture NX's uses.