Picasso's Bull photo

hvoren

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello I've been looking for the bull photo done by Picasso with a torch for about an hour but I just can't find it. I'd like some help on knowing the title of it, the photographer (if it's not Picasso himself) and where on the Internet I could see it. Thanks alot.

Picasso? Wasn't he just a painter or something? I'm not into that so I only know the one famous picture. (I'm ignorant :D)

Did you try using Google's image search?

I know the picture you mean - I have it somewhere, but I can't lay my hands on it right now. And the photographer's name is eluding me...

Did you mean this picture by Gjon Mili?

picasso.jpg

hobbes28 said:
Did you mean this picture by Gjon Mili?

picasso.jpg

It's the same technique but a different photo. In the one I'm talking about, you barely see the background and the torch is a lot thicker. And the bull looks more like a bull than this. Haha. But thanks.

Any suggestions on how this was done then? I would guess drawing onto the negative with a think black pen would have this effect?

Obviously easy to do in Photoshop, but it wouldn't have been around then!

Colin

I was about to make the obvious stumble and say was it not just done over a long exposure. Cant be though because there's no trace of him on the photo.

I need to know now or it will really bug me!

if you do a search for Gjon Mili, he's the one that does most of the shots like that and, in fact, was one of the leaders of this.

So...here's how it's done:
Cameras have a thing called rear curtain flash sinc. That just means that the flash fires the 1/125th of a second before the shutter closes. So what Gjon does is does a long exposure in a dark room for the artist to draw the picture, and the artist would look black. He then closes the shutter which causes the flash to fire and you get the image of the artist along with the background sort of imposed over the drawing he/she just did.

hobbes28 said:
Cameras have a thing called rear curtain flash sinc. That just means that the flash fires the 1/125th of a second before the shutter closes. So what Gjon does is does a long exposure in a dark room for the artist to draw the picture, and the artist would look black. He then closes the shutter which causes the flash to fire and you get the image of the artist along with the background sort of imposed over the drawing he/she just did.

You don't even need rear curtain sync for a shot like this. The exposure times are so long the photographer can just trigger the flash manually. How I would do it is put the camera on a tripod and just hold the flash in my hand (not connected to the camera at all). Open the shutter, move to the side, fire the flash when the subject was finished drawing (flashlight), then close the shutter.

I've used a similar technique photographing people launching fireworks. I open the shutter on bulb to catch the firework going off. After the person has lit the firework, I have them stand off to one side for a second, where I flash them using a handheld flash, then they can get out of the way. While the firework is going off I have 2 assistants in the background crowd. Each of them has a flash in hand, and their job is to flash their side of the crowd sometime while the firework goes off. I end up with a time exposure of the firework going off, with the person who lit it and the crowd frozen.

Most reactions

Back