Picked this baby up this afternoon

shortpballer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dossantoslemone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked this ballhead up this afternoon. I know its a really good brand. But I don't know what the model number is. Can any of you guys tell which one it is?
And its really difficult to put a camera on it. Is there any easy way to do it?

Here are some pics.

ballhead1.jpg

ballhead2.jpg

Loosen the ball head's locking knob, and put the camera on the tripod thread,and turn the camera platform so that it threads up into the camera's tripod receptacle. Make SURE that the tripod thread is not too deep for your camera's tripod receptacle. Altrnately, tighten the ball head platform and turn the camera around roughly 3.5 times and thread the camera onto the tripod's platform.

Linhof Ballheads
This looks like the Universal Ballhead I model.

This type of tripod head is not designed for a quick release plate. It's not "that" difficult to mount a camera to the tripod head...I use a similar Gitzo ball had that has the same mounting procedure.

Remember, it used to take four HOURS to see a single frame of color film shot on E-6 film....drive to the lab, drop off film,have it processed, then mounted, drive back to the lab,real-world, typically a 4 hour turnaround time. I'm sure the 15 seconds it takes to turn the camera 3.5 times around the 1/4 x 20 thread will be worth it on that fine Linhof ball head.

Last edited:
When I was first mounting it I had a 70-200 2.8 on my gripped body. So it was a little difficult to turn the camera around in circles. I guess I will get used to it.

Eric

Looks sick bro. Is it pretty sturdy and well build?

Loosen the ball head's locking knob, and put the camera on the tripod thread,and turn the camera platform so that it threads up into the camera's tripod receptacle. Make SURE that the tripod thread is not too deep for your camera's tripod receptacle. Altrnately, tighten the ball head platform and turn the camera around roughly 3.5 times and thread the camera onto the tripod's platform.

Linhof Ballheads
This looks like the Universal Ballhead I model.

This type of tripod head is not designed for a quick release plate. It's not "that" difficult to mount a camera to the tripod head...I use a similar Gitzo ball had that has the same mounting procedure.

Remember, it used to take four HOURS to see a single frame of color film shot on E-6 film....drive to the lab, drop off film,have it processed, then mounted, drive back to the lab,real-world, typically a 4 hour turnaround time. I'm sure the 15 seconds it takes to turn the camera 3.5 times around the 1/4 x 20 thread will be worth it on that fine Linhof ball head.

Thanks derrel-- Its definately not the universal. Because it has notches and numbers and it pans , the universal doesn't. It has the second nob and the universal doesn't. I think its the same as the expensive ones just an older version because the writing is different. The only way to tell which one it is, is to measure the base and the top and compare it with the new ones now.

Dscience- This thing is AMAZINGLY built. It holds my gripped 30d with 70-200 really well. Even without me tightening the knob all the way. and the way it pans 360 degrees is phenomenal. It is smooth yet its not like its on a bearing. Its hard to explain lol. My first ballhead, and in my opinion the only one I will ever get. This is one amazing piece of equipment. Very excited about the purchase. And I got an AMAZING deal too :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back