picked up the TC 1401 for my sigma 150-600 sport lens. not so happy

I would toss all my gear in a lake if I had to manually focus while tracking a bird or squirrel.

Whenever I find myself in discussions about how to use, what to use, when to use, dynamic range etc. etc., I have to remind myself that some people are photographing flowers on a candlelit table in a pitch black living room.

What do you suppose wildlife photographers did before auto focus?
Same thing car owners did before someone invented electronic ignition.

But I don't go out and hand crank my engine in the morning because I don't have too.

Much like I don't fetch water from the well, I just turn on the tap. If you chose not to take advantage of certain technological improvements that's your prerogative, but it doesn't really give you leave to be snarky to those of is who do.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I missed the snarkiness but I'll leave you folks to share your expertise among each other. Obviously you aren't interested in mine.
You missed the "people being afraid of manual focus" comment? Huh.. odd, you made it.

There are many of us who have zero fear of manual focus, but we don't really much benefit for the type of shooting we do most often.

If I shot macro then it might make sense, in the ops shooting situation yes it is possible to manual focus, but hardly recommended, and certainly not worth an additional 1.4x from the tc in most cases.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Well I think the photos are not sharp because it's missing focus. And you really do need perfect lighting with a fast enough shutter speed to get birds in flight or the ISO is just getting too high. If I have to manual focus I am going to miss allot of shots, auto focus is pretty quick but often by the time I get the lens on the animal and hit the focus button the animal has already moved, manual focus would take longer so it's not a good option for what I am doing with the lens. If I were shooting still subjects and had a tripod that would be a different story but I don't think this thing is gonna work out for me

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Danny,
Not sure if you've done this already, but there is a firmware upgrade for the Sigma 150-600 specifically designed to improve the autofocus performance of the lense when mounted to the TC1401. REad about it here:

Firmware Update - SIGMA 150-600mm Sports / Contemporary CANON | Sigma Corporation of America

Hope this helps,
Darrell

heck, did not even think to check to see if there were any firmware updates for the lens.

i had so many photos miss focus i decided to send that TC back, it was very hit and miss some photos focused well but i would say more missed than hit...

Danny,
Not sure if you've done this already, but there is a firmware upgrade for the Sigma 150-600 specifically designed to improve the autofocus performance of the lense when mounted to the TC1401. REad about it here:

Firmware Update - SIGMA 150-600mm Sports / Contemporary CANON | Sigma Corporation of America

Hope this helps,
Darrell

heck, did not even think to check to see if there were any firmware updates for the lens.

i had so many photos miss focus i decided to send that TC back, it was very hit and miss some photos focused well but i would say more missed than hit...
facepalm-cat.jpg

Sorry, I've been wanting to use this one for a while. Hopefully the firmware update will help.

I like this one pretty well: Nikon TC-14E II

Make sure you calibrate the lens with the usb dock.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I'm using a Canon 1.4 extender Ver 3 with that lens and its a great combination without the update. Perhaps if you aquired the Nikon 1.4, you'll have better luck as well, and you'll be compatible with more lenses than just 3.

I like this one pretty well: Nikon TC-14E II

Make sure you calibrate the lens with the usb dock.

Well, I'm using a Canon 1.4 extender Ver 3 with that lens and its a great combination without the update. Perhaps if you aquired the Nikon 1.4, you'll have better luck as well, and you'll be compatible with more lenses than just 3.
Maybe I'll look for a used Nikon tc, there a bit expensive. Would be nice to have one when you need it

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back