Picking a new 35mm SLR film camera advice?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Bobby Ironsights, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Bobby Ironsights

Bobby Ironsights TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys,

I imagine this may have been answered in other threads, but I couldn't find what I was looking for via the search function, so feel free to just post a link if it saves you time.

I am......thirty, a photography newbie, a university student, in the market for a film camera while they still make them.

I've looked at awesome art photographs long enough, I want to take some very nice photographs myself.

I was going to buy one about two years ago, and had decided that the canon rebel was the brand in my price range, but $$$ was tight....so it never happened.

Now... things are a little better, and I've noticed some AMAZING online deals for SLR film cameras. SO far as I can see...the film camera's I would have paid 650 bucks for two years ago, are now selling for 200 bucks!!!

:cheer:

But there are a bewildering array of choices, and kits.

I want to buy a middle-end slr so I have a greater variety of lenses to choose from down the road. Which of these Rebels is most popular/takes common type lenses?

But what should I get,

The canon Ti? Ti2? a completely different brand entirely?:drool:

I know from my firearms experience, that there is no perfect gun, just a perfect gun for an individual situation, but I'm looking for an good, solid all-rounder.

I'd like to do portraits, nature photography (for when I go hunting), some closeups for my work in the DIY forums, and also product photography for when I sell my junk on ebay. I'd also just like to take nice pictures of my friends and family. And maybe some B+W arty nudes of my G.F.(who's a bit of a showoff anyway):heart:

I plan on taking alot of pictures, until I get the hang of it, so it should also be fairly durable.

Thank you all for your time,

I've come here as everyone else seems to have a $$$ good reason to sell me pretty much whatever they have on sale.
    Bobby.

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just like a gun, you should get what feels comfortable. I can't speak too much for Canons, but the Rebel's are too small for me and that's why I use an FE with an MD-12 even though it's manual focus. For an AF body, i'd get at least a Nikon N80. You might think otherwise though.

3. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Will you be content with the image quality of 35mm, or do you prefer medium format?

4. Bobby Ironsights

Bobby Ironsights TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess that I should be happy with the image quality given by the 35mm for awhile, once I get decently equipped with the skills of a photographer, I definitely plan on moving up.

That very insightful question, lead me to google medium format camera's exentensively. I want one, but not just yet.

For now, I've become the proud owner of .....

BEAUTIFUL Condition Canon EOS Elan IIe w/Canon 28~80mm USM Lens
    Takes Beautiful PicturesÂ… with Ease!!
    [​IMG]
    or at least I will, when it gets here.

Thanks for the read guys.

Hopefully, I'll have nice pictures to go along with my nice camera soon.:thumbup:

5. Michael Humle

Michael Humle TPF Noob!

I have never used Canon but from what I have heard, you bought a very nice camera and lens. I have heard good things about the Ultrasonics. Congrats!!!!!

6. CMan

CMan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great choice! That's the 35mm camera I have; and I can assure that it takes great pictures, and will last as long as you want it to.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit

Congrats... thats a great camera

My first introduction to the Canon EOS system was with the Elan IIe.... still have it today.