Picking a new 35mm SLR film camera advice?

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I imagine this may have been answered in other threads, but I couldn't find what I was looking for via the search function, so feel free to just post a link if it saves you time.

I am......thirty, a photography newbie, a university student, in the market for a film camera while they still make them.

I've looked at awesome art photographs long enough, I want to take some very nice photographs myself.

I was going to buy one about two years ago, and had decided that the canon rebel was the brand in my price range, but $$$ was tight....so it never happened.

Now... things are a little better, and I've noticed some AMAZING online deals for SLR film cameras. SO far as I can see...the film camera's I would have paid 650 bucks for two years ago, are now selling for 200 bucks!!!

:cheer:

But there are a bewildering array of choices, and kits.

I want to buy a middle-end slr so I have a greater variety of lenses to choose from down the road. Which of these Rebels is most popular/takes common type lenses?

But what should I get,

The canon Ti? Ti2? a completely different brand entirely?:drool:

I know from my firearms experience, that there is no perfect gun, just a perfect gun for an individual situation, but I'm looking for an good, solid all-rounder.

I'd like to do portraits, nature photography (for when I go hunting), some closeups for my work in the DIY forums, and also product photography for when I sell my junk on ebay. I'd also just like to take nice pictures of my friends and family. And maybe some B+W arty nudes of my G.F.(who's a bit of a showoff anyway):heart:

I plan on taking alot of pictures, until I get the hang of it, so it should also be fairly durable.

Thank you all for your time,

I've come here as everyone else seems to have a $$$ good reason to sell me pretty much whatever they have on sale.
Bobby.

Just like a gun, you should get what feels comfortable. I can't speak too much for Canons, but the Rebel's are too small for me and that's why I use an FE with an MD-12 even though it's manual focus. For an AF body, i'd get at least a Nikon N80. You might think otherwise though.

I guess that I should be happy with the image quality given by the 35mm for awhile, once I get decently equipped with the skills of a photographer, I definitely plan on moving up.

That very insightful question, lead me to google medium format camera's exentensively. I want one, but not just yet.

For now, I've become the proud owner of .....

BEAUTIFUL Condition Canon EOS Elan IIe w/Canon 28~80mm USM Lens
Takes Beautiful Pictures… with Ease!!
elan2.jpg

or at least I will, when it gets here.

Thanks for the read guys.

Hopefully, I'll have nice pictures to go along with my nice camera soon.:thumbup:

I have never used Canon but from what I have heard, you bought a very nice camera and lens. I have heard good things about the Ultrasonics. Congrats!!!!!

Great choice! That's the 35mm camera I have; and I can assure that it takes great pictures, and will last as long as you want it to.

Most reactions

Back