• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

shuemer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I am planning on buying my first DSLR camera and have done a little bit of research online so far to find the best one. The most important factors to me are 1) image quality (sharpness) and 2) size - I will be traveling with this camera and would not like it to be too bulky or heavy. Also, I would ideally not like to go over $500 for this camera and would like it to be new.

So far I have found three cameras that have (mostly) fit this criteria:

1) Nikon D3400

2) Canon EOS Rebel T5 (This one is cheaper than the other two which I like; is its quality as good though?)

3) Canon EOS Rebel SL1

I was hoping anyone who might own these cameras or have experience purchasing DSLRs might be able to help me pick from these, or even suggest a better one! Thanks.

Look into the Nikon D3400 with the TWO-lens kit with the 70-300 AF-P VR lens, and the 18-55 AF-P kit; priced around $500 or so with both AF-P lenses...I looked at it yesterday: thew AF-P models of the 18-55 and 70-300 f/4.5~6.3 VR are REALLY quite fast-focusing! VERY impressive focusing on these new, AF-P lenses!

Better sensor in the Nikons than in Canons...easier to correct exposures in software, good picture quality too. Affordable. Good uses for legacy lenses on the small-body Nikon.

skip the 3
get an Olympus EM10 II

I think the best bang for the buck would be the Nikon D3400. The battery life is insane! I've seen bundles with the 18-55 AF-P & 70-300 AF-P for around your budget.

Another vote for the Nikon D3400. :1219:

I voted the D3400. It has all the auto modes you could want for someone new. And if you really wanted to learn, it also will allow full user control. For what you get, it's hard to beat it's price point.

Get the Nikon D3400 or you can even consider the Nikon D3300 which will save you some money and still deliver very close performance to the D3400
Canon SL1 and T5 have Canon's old 18mp sensor which is about 8 years old now while the D3300/3400 have new modern sensors
On Nikon you get more resolution, better low light performance, better dynamic range, sharper images due to the lack of an AA filter

skip the 3
get an Olympus EM10 II

That's not a Dslr though
it is an interchangeable lens digital camera that is very light and has the added advantage that the viewfinder reflects the image captured
If you outgrow it then maybe the it is time for a DSLR

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wasn't stating it's not a Dslr to be awkward, and I quite like Olympus and the m43 cameras, it's just the OP specifically stated looking for help to pick a Dslr

skip the 3
get an Olympus EM10 II

That's not a Dslr though
it is an interchangeable lens digital camera that is very light and has the added advantage that the viewfinder reflects the image captured

I wasn't stating it's not a Dslr to be awkward, and I quite like Olympus and the m43 cameras, it's just the OP specifically stated looking for help to pick a Dslr

Yeah the OP is a newbie. Most of them don't know a DSLR from a mirrorless system.

skip the 3
get an Olympus EM10 II

That's not a Dslr though

Yeah the OP is a newbie. Most of them don't know a DSLR from a mirrorless system.

Just because OP may be a newbie, doesn't mean they don't know the difference between a mirrorless and a DSLR.

well the OP can correct me if I had made an assumption that what they are looking for is their first interchangeable lens camera rather than a DSLR specifically

skip the 3
get an Olympus EM10 II

That's not a Dslr though

Just because OP may be a newbie, doesn't mean they don't know the difference between a mirrorless and a DSLR.

Ok, I admit I am no photography expert, haha! I have taken basic classes, though, so I am familiar with different types of cameras. I am hoping to get into DSLRs, but thank you for your suggestion! If I ever decide to purchase a MILC, I will definitely look into the EM10.

Most reactions

Back