Picking First DSLR Camera?

What camera should I buy?

• Nikon D3400

• Canon EOS Rebel T5

• Canon EOS Rebel SL1

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Get the Nikon D3400 or you can even consider the Nikon D3300 which will save you some money and still deliver very close performance to the D3400
Canon SL1 and T5 have Canon's old 18mp sensor which is about 8 years old now while the D3300/3400 have new modern sensors
On Nikon you get more resolution, better low light performance, better dynamic range, sharper images due to the lack of an AA filter

Is there a noticeable difference between the two camera's photo quality, or is the D3300 a better pick? (i.e. is the extra $50 worth anything)

skip the 3
get an Olympus EM10 II

That's not a Dslr though
it is an interchangeable lens digital camera that is very light and has the added advantage that the viewfinder reflects the image captured
If you outgrow it then maybe the it is time for a DSLR

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wasn't stating it's not a Dslr to be awkward, and I quite like Olympus and the m43 cameras, it's just the OP specifically stated looking for help to pick a Dslr

Yeah the OP is a newbie. Most of them don't know a DSLR from a mirrorless system.

Just because OP may be a newbie, doesn't mean they don't know the difference between a mirrorless and a DSLR.

Ok, I admit I am no photography expert, haha! I have taken basic classes, though, so I am familiar with different types of cameras. I am hoping to get into DSLRs, but thank you for your suggestion! If I ever decide to purchase a MILC, I will definitely look into the EM10.
What is it you plan to get with Your DSLR that you don't get with a mirrorless? I have a D810 with a full regalia of lenses but when I travel or do anything leisure related I inevitably reach for a mirrorless or compact camera.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's not a Dslr though
it is an interchangeable lens digital camera that is very light and has the added advantage that the viewfinder reflects the image captured
If you outgrow it then maybe the it is time for a DSLR

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wasn't stating it's not a Dslr to be awkward, and I quite like Olympus and the m43 cameras, it's just the OP specifically stated looking for help to pick a Dslr

Yeah the OP is a newbie. Most of them don't know a DSLR from a mirrorless system.

Just because OP may be a newbie, doesn't mean they don't know the difference between a mirrorless and a DSLR.

Ok, I admit I am no photography expert, haha! I have taken basic classes, though, so I am familiar with different types of cameras. I am hoping to get into DSLRs, but thank you for your suggestion! If I ever decide to purchase a MILC, I will definitely look into the EM10.
What is it you plan to get with Your DSLR that you don't get with a mirrorless? I have a D810 with a full regalia of lenses but when I travel or do anything leisure related I inevitably reach for a mirrorless or compact camera.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I actually already own a quite expensive digital camera (the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100) that I have used for a couple of years now. While I love that camera, I am not looking to buy the next level up, as I am most interested in learning how use a DSLR. The decision has less to do with what type of camera is better (DSLR vs. compact) - since I already own a relatively strong point and shoot - and more with the fact that I would simply like to get into the "DSLR world."

I don't think you'll notice much image quality differences between the D3300 and D3400. But...what you will notice is the increase in battery life haha.

Get the Nikon D3400 or you can even consider the Nikon D3300 which will save you some money and still deliver very close performance to the D3400
Canon SL1 and T5 have Canon's old 18mp sensor which is about 8 years old now while the D3300/3400 have new modern sensors
On Nikon you get more resolution, better low light performance, better dynamic range, sharper images due to the lack of an AA filter

Is there a noticeable difference between the two camera's photo quality, or is the D3300 a better pick? (i.e. is the extra $50 worth anything)
For 50$ extra then get the D3400 its sensor is slightly better with more dynamic range, not a big difference but 50$ might as well get the D3400

I agree, a Canon T6i may be the best "bang for the buck" but you should look at mirrorless cameras from Sony, Fuji, Canon, etc. Mirrorless has all the features of a DSLR but are smaller and lighter .... and they can use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I agree, a Canon T6i may be the best "bang for the buck" but you should look at mirrorless cameras from Sony, Fuji, Canon, etc. Mirrorless has all the features of a DSLR but are smaller and lighter .... and they can use the big DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless
I use a D810 but if I had to start from scratch I would seriously consider an A7R II instead.

Ok - so I think I have narrowed it down to the Nikon D3400 and the Canon SL1 (as I love this camera for its size and touch-screen feature).
Does anyone know if there is a big difference in quality between the two cameras?
Thank you everyone for your advice so far! :)

The D3400 sounds like it maybe the way to go, the better sensor will be a nice improvement.
My camera (the only one I have ever had) is a Canon T3i, I have had it three years next Christmas. I have used the heck out of it, and haven't had a single problem of any sort of any sort. So I wouldn't worry about the quality of the Canon, mine has been outstanding!
But I would probably go with the D3400. Good luck on picking a camera, it is always a hard choice picking new gear. :)

Ok - so I think I have narrowed it down to the Nikon D3400 and the Canon SL1 (as I love this camera for its size and touch-screen feature).
Does anyone know if there is a big difference in quality between the two cameras?

It's not even close picture quality wise. D3400 much better in color, dynamic range, low light. The Canon is a 3 year old model itself, using older technology. But if you like the touch screen, and need to stay in the price point. It may be better for you. For just a little more you can Move into a much better Nikon with touch screen. The current model is D5600, and D5500 still out there. Both will out perform the Canon. I think the D5600 is about $150 more than similar D3400 kits.

It's not even close picture quality wise. D3400 much better in color, dynamic range, low light. The Canon is a 3 year old model itself, using older technology. But if you like the touch screen, and need to stay in the price point. It may be better for you. For just a little more you can Move into a much better Nikon with touch screen. The current model is D5600, and D5500 still out there. Both will out perform the Canon. I think the D5600 is about $150 more than similar D3400 kits.

Hmm ok the D3400 and the Canon SL1 are actually the same price on amazon ($500) so if the photo quality is so much better, it makes sense to get the D3400 it seems! Thanks for the insight.

Update: I was able to stop into Best Buy this evening and have decided to purchase the Canon SL1. Its interface is easy to read, it is extremely lightweight and comfortable (which I love), the photo/video quality is quite good (for a beginner's camera), and it seems like a good fit for my lifestyle. (Though it was a close contender with the Nikon d3400!)

Thank you to everyone in this forum for answering my questions and giving me helpful suggestions! I will definitely keep the other cameras mentioned in mind for future purchases down the road. :)

I recommend you follow your own preference rather than the preferences of others. You are more likely to be happy with the choice. All modern DSLR's make excellent images.

Update: I was able to stop into Best Buy this evening and have decided to purchase the Canon SL1. Its interface is easy to read, it is extremely lightweight and comfortable (which I love), the photo/video quality is quite good (for a beginner's camera), and it seems like a good fit for my lifestyle. (Though it was a close contender with the Nikon d3400!)

Thank you to everyone in this forum for answering my questions and giving me helpful suggestions! I will definitely keep the other cameras mentioned in mind for future purchases down the road. :)

I'm uncertain if your post was meant to convey that you've already made the purchase... or you're about to make the purchase.

Canon is about to announce the SL2. That announcement is expected tomorrow although the camera won't likely be available for another month before anyone can actually buy one.

Here's the list of specs per the rumor website: Full Specifications for the Canon EOS Rebel SL2

Most reactions

Back