Picking out a Entry level DSLR (Nikon d60 vs Sony A300 vs Canon XSi)

There is live view and then there is live view. Apparently according to Popular Photography the Sony system is "the fastest and easiest to use on any SLR" to quote their July edition. There is no loss in autofocus or speed as there is with the Xsi.

As to use, you need to be aware that it is available when you are considering your shots. If you forget that you have it, you are not going to make use of it. If it is slower, requires manual focus, blacks out a lot, then you are not going to use it either. If it is fast and convenient to use, then it becomes a more viable option for some shooting situations.

skieur

The only time that I have used Live View with my 40D was to hold it up over a barrier at the zoo.

I tried a Pentax in the store as well. One thing that I really didn't like is the weird focusing mechanism. I think it was some sort of electronic mechanism because turning the focus ring had no effect when the camera was switched off.

There were other things I didn't like about it but I can't remember what they were right now ;)

It's called focus by wire. Essentially the focus ring isn't mechanically linked to the focus, it controls the motor servo which then focuses the image.

Some people don't mind it, I find it incredibly annoying and almost forces me into using AF.

Although another camera to consider are the Olympus Lines. Great cameras especially for the beginner.

As for Live View, I use it rarely, however have used it a dozen or so times since purchasing my camera (olympus).

It's good for composing photos where you cannot physically view through the viewfinder. It is also good for when you hand your camera to a friend to shoot a photo of you.

Most people don't even know how to or don't like using the viewfinder, so they like the comfort of a screen on the back.

Also, Live view is very handy for previewing the white balance before you take a shot.

I haven't really noticed it sucking my battery dry, but then again, as soon as i've taken the shot, I take it off live-view.

It's called focus by wire. Essentially the focus ring isn't mechanically linked to the focus, it controls the motor servo which then focuses the image.
Yes, I understand what it is and I don't like. If I'm buying an SLR, I'm buying it largely for the manual control and do not want what is effectively another electronic control, especially for something as important as focusing. I'm not saying I don't like autofocus (I do), but when I'm manually focusing, it should be just that...manual.

Focus by wire isn't so much a problem with the SLR but with the lens.

For example, my Olympus Kit lenses are focus by wire, but other 4/3 glass also contain lenses that aren't focus by wire and will auto-focus on the E-420 body.

But then again, If you're really into manual focusing, a medium-low budget dSLR probably isn't the best bet, as the viewfinder's are so small and dim that focusing accurately (especially at low apertures) is very difficult.

For example, I have an OM System 50mm f1.8 on my olympus which is completely manual, with smooth focus ring with lots of feel, however it is still very difficult to get accurate focus at f1.8 without taking 3 - 4 shots before you find your best focus point. All because of the viewfinder.

If I had the viewfinder from my Pentax, it would be a lot easier.

If you're really into manual focusing, a medium-low budget dSLR probably isn't the best bet, as the viewfinder's are so small and dim that focusing accurately (especially at low apertures) is very difficult... to get accurate focus at f1.8 without taking 3 - 4 shots before you find your best focus point. All because of the viewfinder. If I had the viewfinder from my Pentax, it would be a lot easier.
Perhaps something like this could help?
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Olympus-DSLRs--cat_olympus.html

Focusing screens won't help at all with the brightness issue, though. The bright 0.95x pentaprism viewfinder is one of the things that differentiates my EOS 40D from the Rebel XSi, with its 0.87x pentamirror viewfinder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back