Picnic in the Desert

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Tuna, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    White Sands, New Mexico.
    Contax T2, Velvia.

All comments appreciated.

Tuna

[​IMG]

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I find it interesting at first but it's not holding my eye's attention...I can't nail down why but it feels as though it's missing something. I do like the color & the composition though...it has a great feeling of open space.

3. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    for me it's very nice! but tell me please what scaner do you use or how you got such a great scan!!!!

4. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

i like this a lot! so the wind only blows in one direction there?

5. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm using an older Nikon scanner (Coolscan IV ED) which is a 2900 dbi scanner with decent dynamic range, color bit depth, etc. The latest Nikon scanners are even higher dbi and are all very nice (and cheaper than what mine cost years ago). The other nice thing about Nikon scanners is built in Digital Ice (I assume Nikon scanners still have this) which is a dust and scratch removal program that one can use, if needed. It's great with older, beat up negs.

Keep in mind that most dedicated film scanners above $400-500 will do a very good job but it won't be enough. All scanned-in negs and slides will always need post processing to look their best.

Tuna

6. themonko

themonko TPF Noob!

I would love to see this in B&W with a really dark burned sky and high contrast on the desert and chairs.

I don't really like how the picture is cut directly in half. Since both bottom and top don't have much details, I think I would prefer more sky in this one.

One more thing that bothers me, that isn't your fault and really has nothing to do with the picture...why is there only ONE trash can? Shouldn't each bench have a trash can? hmm...????

Anywho, I like this shot. I really like your placement of the benches...it works really well.

7. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Love the colors and the sky looks great. In my opinion I thinks its the three picnic areas that through your eye around the image and makes it harder to look at. I would like to see it with just the front one moved closer and to one side with niether of the other two areas in the photo. But thats just me.

8. Raymond J Barlow

Raymond J Barlow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    less sky, more foreground, truly a brilliant shot!

9. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all the great comments, guys.

For whatever reason, this slide had severe vignetting on the short sides. I attempted to burn and dodge to even it out as much as possible but it certainly wasn't perfect. Some of you may have noticed the "hot spot" in the middle which is due to uneven light distribution to the short edges, especially on the left side. Vmann and themonko have suggested crops and I had originally considered a square crop but it just didn't feel right. However, I have looked at it again and came up with this, losing some sky to even out the balance I intended originally. We might be losing much of the feeling of space but the composition looks tight - and we definitely lose most of that uneven distribution of light in the image.

Does it work?

Tuna

[​IMG]

10. conch

conch TPF Noob!

substitute "desert" with snow and say it's Canada :D and I would probably have believed you. very nice compositon and exposure.

11. themonko

themonko TPF Noob!

I feel like this crop just makes it seem like a really nice looking snapshot. Just my opinion though...

12. railman44

railman44 TPF Noob!

Much better since you cropped it! Crisp focus and very nice colors...