Pics for review/C&C

Crimsonandwhite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I was at a buddy's for a cook out and this couple their needed some engagement pictures and I had my gear in the truck so we went outside the house and tried a few pics. So needless to say, I was not prepared for this and they weren't either, but take a look and let me know what I need to do to try and get better results. I already noticed a few mistakes but please bring it on, I would love to be able to pump out better work than this and need the advice. TIA

JennandSteve1closeup.jpg

JennandSteve2.jpg

JennandSteve3.jpg

JennandSteve4.jpg

JennandSteve6.jpg

JennandSteve7.jpg

JennandSteve8.jpg

C&C per req:
Given that it was a spur of the moment shoot, not bad, however since you've asked, I'll brink up a few issues I've noticed.

1. The image is about 1/2 stop under-exposed on the RH side. Neither subject is in sharp focus. It looks like the point of focus was actually her left forearm. His eyes give the impression of someone who isn't really into it, but putting up with it. Lastly is the background. Because of the pattern, brick walls like this aren't ideal, but if you are stuck with it, try and separate it more from your subjects to make it softer through selective focus.

2. More focus issues; she's sharp, but he's not. An ideal background this time, soft and mottled green, but again too close and too sharp. The highlights in her face are too harsh and she's squinting. If you're stuck with less than ideal light, move your subjects around to make the best of it.

3. As per 1.

4. Ummm.... Nice shoes?

5. A little too close for my tastes, but that's a personal thing. Watch the hairs that have blown onto her lips.

6. A number of issues with this one. As mentioned, careful with your backgrounds, ensure sufficient subject-background separation so that they're not both in focus. As well, you've got unfocused foreground elements (branches/leaves) which are very distracting. The branch that is almost touch his right shoulder is bothersome, and once again, he's not looking at you. A different crop would help this one a lot.

7. Two main concerns with this image are the deep shadow between them, and the branches in the foreground. As well, his skin tones are a little too warm.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

Ok so either move them farther away from my backgrounds or go with a shallower DOF to blur the backgrounds more. I am thinking to keep a couple in focus moving them farther away from the backgrounds would be the way to go.

You nailed it John, he was putting up with this mini shoot. He wanted nothing to do with it really and to get a tiny smile from him was like pulling teeth. I tried shots with him not looking at the camera b/c he seemed more comfortable with that....wasn't sure what to try in this case.

I want to say much thanks John! You always take your time and CC each and every photo, it means a lot to a beginner to get some pointers and you go above and beyond, so thanks a bunch!

JennandSteve6.jpg

JennandSteve6h.jpg

Sloppy quick job on P.S. lol Sorry I had too...I'm addicted to editing... quick airbrushing, teeth whitening, layer blends, even did a little nose job. lmao

Shoulda turned down the opacity on the airbrushing....still looks fake. Oh well.

Toofpaste:

Check out my other thread. I airbrushed that exact same pic. What ya think of it?

wheres it at buddy?

nevermind....looking now

Tirediron has once again beaten me to thoroughly pointing out - step by step and photo by photo - all the little flaws that there are. So I'm left with saying what the first few suggested to me emotionally (not necessarily the very first, but the ones as of Photo 2), and that is that he seems so "dominating", she looks so "under his thumb" to me in most, she is behind him, his shoulder blocks out most of her, he is in focus, she's not ... so I personally also see something in your "posing them" (I doubt you really did much, I can't actively pose people either and just let them do their own posing, which might lead to results as these?) that could be done better next time. Little things to observe and maybe correct should you next be asked to do a spontaneous engagement session. Just my immediate thoughts.

Ok so either move them farther away from my backgrounds or go with a shallower DOF to blur the backgrounds more. I am thinking to keep a couple in focus moving them farther away from the backgrounds would be the way to go.

You nailed it John, he was putting up with this mini shoot. He wanted nothing to do with it really and to get a tiny smile from him was like pulling teeth. I tried shots with him not looking at the camera b/c he seemed more comfortable with that....wasn't sure what to try in this case.

I want to say much thanks John! You always take your time and CC each and every photo, it means a lot to a beginner to get some pointers and you go above and beyond, so thanks a bunch!

You're very welcome. This (and all my other posts in the last three months) brought to you courtesy of the Canadian Taxpayer, as I float around here in the Gulf of Oman with precious little else to do. ;)

LaFoto- I could use some help with posing people that is for sure! I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, but all that doesn't help much when you get someone that doesn't want to play nice. I did some other poses but I had no pics that were worth using because he refused to look at the camera.

LaFoto- I could use some help with posing people that is for sure! I have been reading everything I can get my hands on, but all that doesn't help much when you get someone that doesn't want to play nice. I did some other poses but I had no pics that were worth using because he refused to look at the camera.

Given the circumstances and the guy's attitude I think you did a good job - apart from the posing issues you can fix a lot of those things in PS. I agree with LaFoto; he seems very grumpy and dominant - the kind of person any photographer hates having to work with.

(Shoot me but people like that don't deserve pretty pictures or a photographer who cares as much as you do.) :blushing:

Sorry for hijacking this thread. But I think the OP may also want to know as well.

In general, what the photographer can do to minimize this from happening? I mean photo shooting for a couple and one of them do not co-operate that much.

Do the photographer usually talk to them and know more about them before it start taking photos? Cause I remember long time ago, me and my wife was in a photo studio (they have both indoor and outdoor studio at the same location). Before the whole thing started, the photographer and his assistant talked to us. Asking me about what I do for living blah blah blah ... you know, kind of like friend talk type of tone.

Is that what they usually do?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back