Pics of a girl from class

Anaconda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It's my second week in Photography Fundamentals and we had a girl from our class model for us for practice. These were w/o flashes and in cloudy weather and thought they were pretty nice. This was all out manual mode and yes i'm a total noob but these are my first cool pics.

DSC_0222new.jpg

^ No Flash
Focal Length 135mm
F-Number - F/5.6
Exposure Time 1/250
Iso Speed - 125

Comment: Should have gotten the fat guy out of the way in the back possibly but whatever. :)

DSC_0221.jpg

^ No Flash
Focal Length 135mm
Same info as above

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

^ Focal Length 50mm
F Number F/8
Exposure Time 1/125

Your exposures are pretty ok. The thing that really jumps out at me is the posing and compositions. You've left lots of room around your subject for distracting elements to jump in.

I agree with Matt. The exposures are great but each one of them has her dead center with a bunch of wasted space around her. To get you thinking about composition...look up 'Rule of Thirds'.

Yeah I kinda figured that. Just working on exposures at the moment and didnt really have fascinating backgrounds to work with. I'll need to work on getting better shots and poses from her. Exposures is what we were working on mainly. :) :mrgreen: Thank you. :):sexywink:

The exposure's look dead on to me. I like the first the most because of her expression, it seems natural and not posed.

Rule of thumb when shooting people. Vertical for individuals and horizontal for groups. Use a shallow depth of field to provide maximum focus on your subject and not the distractions of the surroundings.

Keep going and continue to learn

Yep framing is a bit of an issue here. Especially on the top one. The subject is the girl not the sky. Drop to the knees so you're not shooting down on her and fill the frame.

Did a tonal correction to the very top image with photoshop cs3. Also cropped a little to get a bit of the top off. Also this is my first tonal correction out of class so i'm still a novice.

DSC_0222newtonalcorrectioncopy.jpg

^^ that is the new tonal correction.

VV that at the bottom is the original
DSC_0222new.jpg

There isn't much composition here. Like said read up on the rules of thirds. When shooting someone just standing up like that use vertical and you can fill the frame with their body. Puts the focus on them and cuts out all the background distractions. That being said you don't need an interesting background, just get one as solid as possible and use a shallow DOF to throw it all out of focus and it looks fine.

Most reactions

Back