Picture of a guy

I personally would not really want to be a part of this conversation if this were my picture, and I received the kind of responses he has gotten. I think you as a mod team are to quick to defend the forum members responses, because you have a inherent prejudice to the photo. If your first thought is, "This picture is total crap. The photog obviously didn't put forth any effort, and it makes me angry because I put so much effort into my craft!", then you probably shouldn't comment, because you are unable to really look past your own prejudice.

My personal thought on this photo, and this "style" is that it walks a fine line between being really great, and very bad. Ernst Haas is an example of someone who was very successful with abstract, out of focus, motion blur photography. I'm sure his many of his contact sheets are full of exposures that "don't work". They should still be examined, and critiqued, in a positive fashion, to learn from. After all, we are all learning to hone our craft. This whole discussion, and the discussions on every one of the OP's photos are extremely negative from square one, yet the photo is blamed for it.

Again.. it is not the photo, but the not answering people even when they ask what the OP thinks of his own work. If there is no reason or understanding for it to be so 'snapshot like' then it belongs in the snapshot section. I agree some of the responses have been very negative which is unfortuante... but that is entirely my point... unless the OP wants to answer at least some of the more polite questions then this thread is really just set up to be a flame fest.

i.e.....

You chose to start out with two photos that are causing a lot of discussion and you must have planned for this to happen, else you would not have chosen those two... Maybe you'd like to explain?

well here is something to say...what is it about the photo that you actually enjoy?

...and so far...

I'm not going to explain it.

Im sure if there were ANY reason for this style and the OP would share with us then all flaming would stop.

After an initial barrage of immature, negative comments, I would abandon the thread as well. All of the moderation surrounds the OP's failure to respond, and none of it is aimed at the embarrassing, rude comments by our membership. It's mind-boggling to me.

Im sure if there were ANY reason for this style and the OP would share with us then all flaming would stop.

It sounds as if you are endorsing the treatment we've given the guy.

But he did respond... by saying that he is not going to explain it.

As you know Matt any unprovoked direct attack on any member is not tollerated, and any examples of this from our members are delt with via pm from the mod team. There is no reason for me to openly discuss that here.

As i said previously its not just this thread... but a few others that continued in the same vein. Haveing already known this the OP continued to post i the same way..I am giving the OP a chance to respond, if you think im being unfair then that is your opinion.

my view is quite simple. As a photo on its own it doesn't work, there is no reason for it to be blurry other than by accident. So the image as purley a 'photo' does nothing for me.

There is however the possiblilty that the OP is exploring an artistic theme as in his other blurred images he posted on this forum. However, artistic themes need an explination, a reason for deliberately taking the image away from general photography and into the realms of the artworld. Even a simple title can sometimes help explain a piece of art. So by the OP refusing to say anything about this i would immediately deem the view of artistic merit null and void, meaning the only suitable place left for an image such as this is the trashcan.

Sorry to be so harsh, but as a forum moderator i have to view this in two ways, 1. he has a good reason for wanting to explore this 'vision' or 2. he is a forum troll that wants to create a flame war thread.... in which case i will lock it.

So to the OP rob, you are welcome to continue posting and joining in with the community, but please do not ask for opinions if you are not prepared to give explinations... it just creates arguement and flaming, ty.

Wait a minute, so now it's my responsibility to stop other members from posting hateful and derogatory comments about my work? I thought that's why you admins were here, but hey, I've been wrong before.

And the beauty of this being my art is I can explain it as little or as much as I want to. When the general response is "this photo sucks why don't you explain to me why it doesn't suck" then I don't feel very encouraged to offer a response. I'm very happy that a few have already posted here to say they got something out of the picture. I'm sorry you are so baffled by it, but if that is the case I don't believe there is anything I can say to change your mind.

Also, I have given titles to all my pictures.

Honestly if this was bumped down a stop or two I would hang this on my wall.

I really don't understand why everyone is bashing this guy. If nothing else his pictures are interesting to look at.

Thanks for the kind words Steel, for this and my other pics. Lord knows I need them.

Rob,

Someone posted in the beginners section a comparison of how thier pictures were critiqued on Flickr vs here on this forum. I think it would be interesting to see what kind of response your type of picture would get on Flickr.

I'll bet at the very least the comments would be polite. Who knows someone might offer some insight on how to further improve your particular style of photography.

i think people got a bit heated up.

i think one has to be careful not to overmoderate a forum, but i have not seen this here yet.

I have seen instances of moderator-failure, where things were not judged correctly, but failure is human.

To me this still is one of the peaceful and open forums. i know some popular forums where you are banned for a lifetime for nothing.

rob i am not baffled by your image... its just i and others like to be able to communicate with the OP about an image to help us understand WHY it is you do what you do. This leads to constructive conversation and not mindless spamming as some members have done.

All i am suggesting is that on ANY occasion during 3 of your threads in particular you could have said 'hey, i really want to experiment with shapes... or maybe colours... abstract forms... etc etc.. or whatever it is you have in mind. Then it would lead to further opinions about your images and maybe how you can take things further.

On many kinds of forums you get posters that like to start a thread they know will start arguement for whatever reason. These kinds of posters also like to sit back and say nothing once they have started the debate (or whatever)... this is what your threads are starting to look like becuase you wont answer people... except i might add, the ones you have answered so far... the ones that are spamming and not asking you serious questions.

I realise that some comments have been unhelpful to say the least.. but by also refusing to answer people that have a genuine interest in why you are doing what you do, that adds to fueling the fire.

Nossie, im not sure where to beguin.. im also confused as to wether your opinion of what i wrote before is good or bad.

However i will quickly answer a few of your concearns....
yes the mod team do decide what is a heated debate and flame war.
Yes corinna was right.
Im not american im british.
We could discuss all day the choice of words we use, what you would prefer to hear is nice to know but thats not how i chose to word myself.
We do have rules about critques... but as dicussed before many times, phrases like 'that sucks' is not acceptable critique...
No one wants a nanny site.

Now could all please refrain from picking this thread apart... my only goal is for rob to see why this thread is heading south... and maybe to salvage it.

If this picture popped up on my LCD screen after taking it....my facial expression :raisedbrow:would have told you everything...and then if that didn't...me deleting it promptly would...

But Hey...if you like it...your the aritst and that's all that matters! :) You don't owe anyone anything.

If we all shot the same work and enjoyed looking at the same pieces we'd be photographers and not artists.

dude wtf is up with u and blurry pics seriously.

OK, I'll translate: Please, tell us what your intentions and creative ideas are, which inspired this very special style of yours. We would like to understand your pictures.

OK, I'll translate: Please, tell us what your intentions and creative ideas are, which inspired this very special style of yours. We would like to understand your pictures.

thanks alex lmao

threadwouldntdie.jpg

This is so funny!

I really agree. I would like to know what inspires you do take shots like this.

Most reactions

Back