Picture Style on Canon question

iriairi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.finalsignal.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just wondering (and hadn't found a clear answer searching) if the Picture Style in Canon cameras mattered if you shoot RAW?

If they do, what do some of you recommend setting it at, or do you change it frequently?

From what I have read picture style will have no effect upon RAW at all since RAW is unedited data from the camera - whilst picture styles are setting the settings for editing on the camera.
Thus it will only give you a difference for a JPEG shot.
However (not 100% sure on this part) the edits will be applied to what you see on the LCD after you shoot the shot - so you can get an idea what the shot willl look like with some basic editing (noise removal, sharpening, contrast etc...)

It doesn't affect the RAW per say. It applies the "style" to the RAW but it can always be changed to any style you want. I usually always leave mine on "neutral" that way I can PP it any way I'd like.

I guess that confuses me again. I shoot in RAW and my picture style is set to say, standard. If I upload my photos to Adobe Bridge, does that standard style come with the photo?

Not meaning to be thick or obstinate, just trying to understand.

I haven't used Adobe Bridge so I can't say for certain. I usually edit my RAWs with DPP which came with my Canon and my photos upload at whatever my camera settings were when I took the photo. But I can change the style to whatever I wish with DPP. It's not permanent. That's one reason why I like shooting with RAW. You can change anything you want to it and you can always revert to the original photo even after saving the changes.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining RAW's correctly but if you do a search you'll find tons of info on how RAW's are handled

I haven't used Adobe Bridge so I can't say for certain. I usually edit my RAWs with DPP which came with my Canon and my photos upload at whatever my camera settings were when I took the photo. But I can change the style to whatever I wish with DPP. It's not permanent. That's one reason why I like shooting with RAW. You can change anything you want to it and you can always revert to the original photo even after saving the changes.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining RAW's correctly but if you do a search you'll find tons of info on how RAW's are handled

That makes sense. I always shoot RAW and really didn't pay much attention to the picture style because I would rather PP myself, too. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something that I should be doing. I think that I will just set it to Faithful/neutral so that it doesn't mess with anything and keep doing what I have been doing.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back