Pictures in the Dark

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ermetekos, Mar 23, 2007.

1. ermetekos

ermetekos TPF Noob!

Hello,
    i want to take some pictures from inside a theater with dancers dancing.
    We are talking low light conditions and people moving quite fast.
    I am using a Nikon D50, and have got a 55-200mm and a 17-35mm.
    What settings should I use not to get the dreaded blurrs?

An amateur trying to delve in photo.(light)graphy(write)

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I did this in the theatre ...

You need a quick shutter speed in order to capture them without blur, but a quick shutter will kill what light you DO have, so over expose to compentate.

It'll be a matter of trial and error to you get it. Oh, and make sure you're allowed to take pics - I wasnt, I smuggled it in, so hasd no chance of using flash either.

3. ermetekos

ermetekos TPF Noob!

Thank you Sgt_Major for your reply,
    forgive me as i am a noob,

so u mean on Manual Mode, set the biggest aperture setting, and the quickest shutter speed.

Do u ever get to know right from the start, just by looking, the correct settings, and not trying to figure it out, on the spot?

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you set your D50 into manual mode you will still see the exposure metre working. This will show you exactly where your settings stand in relation to the metre. Guestimate, adjust, and once you've found a setting which balances the light nicely then stick to it.

5. ermetekos

ermetekos TPF Noob!

and i will continue to humiliate myself with more ignorant questions like this one:

do you take an exposure reading just by pressing halfway the button, and then adjusting accordingly?

6. MPowerM3

MPowerM3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also set your ISO low in order to get a faster shutter speed. Im doing the same thing tonight for a friends play. Little different but a friend of mine suggested not fully manual but either Tv or Av and let the camera figure out the rest. I'll also have the benefit of a f/2.8 lens to shoot with, but whos bragging. Changing the ISO though will get you some more faster shutter speeds. And the good ones just run through a CS2 or the like and see if you can clean them up!

7. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think MPowerM3 means set the ISO "HIGH" to get higher shutter speed...like ISO 800 would still be acceptable with a D50 in terms of noise.......

8. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

What I did was set it on S -shutter, and let the camera work out the Aperture.

9. MPowerM3

MPowerM3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah good call. Set it higher!

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The exposure metre runs for about 30 seconds after the shutter is half depressed. So you just need to tap it and not hold it down. If you see the exposure information disappear in the viewfinder, tap it again.

11. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also, pressing halfway is usually focus lock only (at least for pentax) and there is a seperate button to lock exposure. Or you can go into the custom options and set the camera to lock AF and AE at the same time.

Basically, get as fast a lens as you can (largest aperture) and as fast a shutter speed as you can get to stop the action. Also, using the highest ISO possible is acceptable because sharp noisy pictures are often better than blurry clean pictures. If it's a shot you want, you do what you have to do to get it right.

12. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure that this makes sense - the shutter speed killing light? Presumably you mean a faster shutter will reduce the light available. Without a flash, and ignoring the effect of blurring the lighting will not look any different other than the exposure being different.

And over exposing? to over expose you need a longer exposure but the poster said he doesn't want blurring so the shutter speed should be increased ie made shorter so that movement isn't captured within the exposure.

The best way is to set high ISO and use as wide an aperture as you can eg f2.8. Remember that depending on the camera the ISO may produce a lot of noise but as has been pointed out on this forum several times - a sharp noisy image can be repaired and used but a "quiet" blurred one is pretty much useless.