pictures of my girlfriend(first real portraits)

wclement7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my girlfriend needs senior portraits but doesn't want to spend the big bucks. that is where me and the schools digital cameras come into play! what do you think of these? any comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

seniorpics036.jpg

1 the bridge
seniorpics006.jpg

2 my favorite... don't know why!
seniorpics028.jpg

3 black & white
seniorpics026.jpg

seniorpics023.jpg

seniorpics018.jpg

seniorpics011.jpg

thanks for looking!

To be honest I think the composition is off a little in these. Also number six is focused on the rocks in the background not on the subject.

A good rule of thumb in portrait photography is that a persons eyes should be in the top one third of a picture. All rules can be broken especially if there's another subject that you're trying to capture, but generally it's a good idea.

White balance seems a little off on the second one too. Are you using digital?

Hope that helps, in these cases you can always crop the picture a little. Just a thought?

I agree with the white balance is a tad funky.

The pictures feel like the focus is split. You are wanting to show the back ground because its pretty water and trees, and you're also wanting show your girl. The result is a scattered feel, with parts of her going out of the frame etc. I'd suggest just focus on her, let the background work itself out.

good first attempts. keep shooting and ask lots of questions...it'll pay off!

The spotty lights/shadows bug me, and number two is blown out. Good start though. I'd do some more research on lighting and composition, and reshoot.

Great ideas but I would suggest focusing more on the subject - her. As someone said earlier, keeping the eyes in the top 3rd of the page is a good idea. Also, I would try shots where you don't get shadows on her face etc. If you are able to use a camera where you can adjust your aperature, maybe blurring the background a bit with help.

Most reactions

Back