pictures of the lil' man...

jackieclayton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mominmarianas.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wanted to play with my camera today, and since lil man was in a good mood, I had to take advantage! I am in the process of purchasing some stuff to build a makeshift studio in my home, but today I had to improvise... i opened the blinds and put a blanket behind a chair and put James on it (and sang Yo Gabba Gabba about 50 times to get him to smile! :lol: )

I would LOVE to get some feedback, its been a long time since i've posted pictures for critique... so let me have it... what are some suggestions I can do next time (and maybe something to put on my shopping list?) I was thinking if I had used a reflector on the right it would eliminate that shadow... but I kinda like the shadow in that its kind of dramatic... but i'm not the pro, you guys are! So lemmie know what you think!

Thanks for lookin!! :love:
_DSC2846.jpg

_DSC2863.jpg

_DSC2887.jpg

_DSC2891.jpg

_DSC2899.jpg

_DSC2904.jpg

pictures are nice, but they seem a little green to me, maybe it's my screen...

just for curiosity, why were you so far away for some headshots? like the 100mm + shots? just curious

I love # 2, the focus on 4 and 5 is a little funky though...

thanks for the feedback! hmm... now that you mention it... they do appear a little green... i tried to warm them up a little but perhaps I didn't do it enough... I'll play around with them a bit and repost to see about the editing... ya, I agree with #5... i wish the focus was on the other eye. I like the profile shot though... it shows off his chubby cheeks!

As far as the lens, i'm using a nikon 24-120mm... its the only lens i have currently. I would like to get a portrait prime, but the reason I had to stand back and zoom so far in is because I was having trouble with the focusing when I was closer... I did some studying afterwards and found it was user error with the focus settings on the camera.... I think I'll try again tomorrow if he's cooperating but I didn't think these turned out that bad so I wanted to get some feedback. thanks!!

Last edited:
I did have a question about "catchlights.." did I achieve them and if so, did I achieve them correctly? I know I've been reading some of the posts on here and sometimes there is too much, not enough..

On the top photo, I went to Selective Color in Photoshop, and under YELLOW, I subtracted 25 points of Cyan, and added 16 points of magenta, and it made the image look almost perfect.

Thanks Derrel, can you show me?? I don't have photoshop (i'm using the editing thats available on i-photo)... i've used photoshop before, i just don't have it currently installed on this computer, so i'll take a note and save it for reference. I'd like to see what yours compares to what I just did since to fix it... thanks!! :)

1,2,& 5 are my favorites! He is so adorable! I think you did a great job. You don't know how many times I've used the window and a black blanket for a backdrop. Good job!

Most reactions

Back