Pictures of Wildlife with EOS Rebel

Thanks Robbins.

I will use this setting next time.
(and I will set the metering mode back to what it was.:1247:)

Metering is also important for these situations where you have a dark or light subject because you want to meter for the subject rather than the background when possible. CWA is usually a good option, Spot metering can also be a great option as well. Matrix metering will expose for the entire scene, which will not usually give you the best results on a shot like this one.

Thanks Robbins.

Metering is also important for these situations where you have a dark or light subject because you want to meter for the subject rather than the background when possible. CWA is usually a good option, Spot metering can also be a great option as well. Matrix metering will expose for the entire scene, which will not usually give you the best results on a shot like this one.
Your photos are of a bear not moving much.
his #1 was moving.
His #3 wasn't moving but the focus was on the plants in front. The bears hair showed some detail though not in focus.
I think he needs to understand Shutter Speed better too for stopping moving objects. Aperture priority is great if the camera selects a fast enough shutter speed. And Shutter is great if the camera selects a deep enough Aperture. He could opt for some "sport mode" which may work in this instance (I don't know Canons).

Thanks Robbins.

his #1 was moving.
His #3 wasn't moving but the focus was on the plants in front. The bears hair showed some detail though not in focus.
I think he needs to understand Shutter Speed better too for stopping moving objects. Aperture priority is great if the camera selects a fast enough shutter speed. And Shutter is great if the camera selects a deep enough Aperture. He could opt for some "sport mode" which may work in this instance (I don't know Canons).

Thought that had already been discussed by others but ok sure, no argument here.. lol

Thanks Robbins.

his #1 was moving.

Thought that had already been discussed by others but ok sure, no argument here.. lol
TPF's redundant redundancy department.
:)

Zoo shots don't count. They're so much easier and you don't risk being eaten

Not all of them were shot at a zoo. I was simply looking for bears since that was the subject in question and my response specifically was speaking to best practices for shooting subjects that don't have a great deal of contrast.

As for the rest, I actually find shooting outdoors far easier than shooting at the zoo from a technical perspective. No glass to contend with, no mixture of sunlight and fluorescent screwing with the white balance, etc.

Not all of them were shot at a zoo. I was simply looking for bears since that was the subject in question and my response specifically was speaking to best practices for shooting subjects that don't have a great deal of contrast.

As for the rest, I actually find shooting outdoors far easier than shooting at the zoo from a technical perspective. No glass to contend with, no mixture of sunlight and fluorescent screwing with the white balance, etc.

sure, being close to the bears in the great wild outdoors is preferable but sometimes it's easier and cheaper to just go to the zoo
26466465423_9a31801228_c.jpg

sure, being close to the bears in the great wild outdoors is preferable but sometimes it's easier and cheaper to just go to the zoo
26466465423_9a31801228_c.jpg
Should tell NatGeo that and they could so save their travel budget.

I had this one done today:

If I can get a semi-decent shot of a white dog, I must be able to take a picture of a black bear.:boogie:
Will see what tomorrow brings. It's a long weekend here by the way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back