Pietzmoor in Luneburg Heath (North Germany)

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by LaFoto, Oct 7, 2004.

1. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It was a beautiful, sunny Sunday last Sunday. My husband suggested we go for a walk in Pietzmoor. It is a re-naturated swamp land which had fallen dry until some 30 years ago, but which some ecologists decided should become a swamp again. So it is kind of unique in an otherwise drained countryside. Ideal for photography, so I say, so this outing could actually made me put a film into my camera again, something that I couldn't make myself do ever since we've been back home from Ireland.

See some of the results:

[​IMG]
    One of the few wide angle photos I took, and you see the paths they built through the swamp

[​IMG]
    When the countryside fell dry, moss started to grow, soil built itself, grass came and then the birches. In the course of the re-naturation process, the birches got "wet feet" which kills them eventually. So the new moor lakes all still show the dead trunks of the former trees, which make for some interesting images

[​IMG]
    Nice reflections on the water

Will be back for more.

2. anua

anua TPF Noob!

i really like colours here-:)
    it seems the fall's came to Germany too-:)

is it big? (the area of the re-naturated swamp?)

nice pics, la Foto!

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for your comments, Anja.
    The area isn't that large, you can walk round there on those planks (or normal walkways where the ground's dry enough) in about an hour.

Like I said, I'm now back with some more:

[​IMG]
    It's obviously autumn, or fall, here, and the birch leaves (of the remaining birches on the edges) have fallen onto the surface of the lake areas

[​IMG]
    Most trees within the lakes, however, have lost their ability to shed any leaves in autumn/fall....
    This photo has suffered a lot in the scanning process and I could not get it back to what it looks like on paper - whatever I tried to do. The scan takes away a lot....

[​IMG]
    I gave this tree a name, I call it 'Knorri', and I honour it with a photo every time I get to be in Pietzmoor.

Actually, I tried to be in this moor in all four seasons, but so far we've never made it there in SUMMER. Funny, isn't it. In August, the heather which grows on the edges of the swampy parts, is in full bloom. I've never so far caught that sight!!!

But spring and winter are nice, too. Do you want to see some of those pics?

4. John E.

John E. TPF Noob!

The first picture on the second post....I really like that pic, says autumn to me.

Does Germany get much in the way of fall colours? Where I live we get mostly yellow colours mixed with a lot of green and very little of any other colour..