Pigeons Warming Up

PachelbelsCanon350D said:
P.S. Ricky...I was too baffled at the time to laugh but your post with all the red X's is really funny :lmao:

Haha, yeah, I have a collection of "Funny Forum Pics" that I just the opportunity to share!

Thanks a lot, Ricky...You fixed the color great. What did YOU do to pull that blue out? Did you do selective color adjustments on the blues like I did?

Also, let me tell you how I resize, perhaps there is something blatantly wrong with the method!! My camera shoots images like four feet wide at 72ppi. So, in Photoshop, I reduce them to 8 inches wide (or so) leaving them at 72ppi. Then, I save. Why is that making them soft? :( When I uploaded my 500k one, it looked good to me. What am I doing wrong, that makes other people see mediocre images when I see sharp ones? I resize and resave images for web all the time with no problems. I wonder why these pigeons are trying to annoy me. LOL.

Thanks for all your compliments everyone, too...I'm actually quite flattered that you like my silly photo and were able to hang in there through all 40-some posts to see it. :lmao: Ricky, feel free to use it as your wallpaper, I'd be honored. ;)

Hum, well I am not sure how much my info will help since I use a slightly different setup. I use MS Digital Image Pro 10.

To correct the color, I first adjusted "Color Temperature" (Put source as ~5300k, Image as ~3300K) and then yes, I used the color levels to remove the remaining blue from the image.

As for the size, normally I would just maintain the dpi and lower the pixel dimensions. I found a really super simple easy to use tool that works wonders. If you use Windows XP, it is called Image Resizer by MS. It is 100% free. You simply right click on the image, and choose "Resize Image", click what screen size you want it to fit on, and it does the rest, super simple. I HIGHLY recommend this free tool.

You can get it at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Look at the column on the right, scroll down to "Image Resizer" Again, I highly recommend this utility for its ease of use and exceptional quality.

RickyN29 said:
P.S. What aperture did you shoot this at? I notice the left corner is blurry, but not so much the right corner...

I shot it at 5.6. Hahahaha!! Like I said...be gentle on me....camera was just out of the package.

When I went to the city that day, I just set the thing on Av and shot away. I'm shooting all in manual now (it's been a week) and oh my GOSH, manual is so much better!! I can control my own destiny, who woulda thunk.

I have a Canon Zoom lens, the total cheapie, 28-80mm, f3.5/5.6 II. I believe I shot these pigeons in telephoto, so that softens the focus of the lens. I can't believe how much I've learned this week; if I went back and shot those pigeons again it would be a completely different photograph.

PachelbelsCanon350D said:
I shot it at 5.6. Hahahaha!! Like I said...be gentle on me....camera was just out of the package.

When I went to the city that day, I just set the thing on Av and shot away. I'm shooting all in manual now (it's been a week) and oh my GOSH, manual is so much better!! I can control my own destiny, who woulda thunk.

I have a Canon Zoom lens, the total cheapie, 28-80mm, f3.5/5.6 II. I believe I shot these pigeons in telephoto, so that softens the focus of the lens. I can't believe how much I've learned this week; if I went back and shot those pigeons again it would be a completely different photograph.

I think it came out great. And I tend to use Priority (Shutter or Aperture, simply to save time) I think 5.6 was about right. It looks like it was a low light situation, so anything smaller (larger f/) would have made camera shake an issue. Anything larger (smaller f/) would have cut the depth of field too small. So I think for the situation, you did absolutely perfect. Oh, what ISO? And what camera? Film I am assuming, and if so, what is tungsten balanced film?

I'm on a Mac, so I can't get that little resizer utility. That's ok though.

The thing that's baffling me is that I've been a graphic designer for four years and only now am I running into a glitch! I've resized photos for the web so many times, and I resize them for print also, where they have to be 300 dpi or more. :confused:

So...I think the best think I can do tonight is shut down the computer...go downstairs....shoot some orange object for this week's TPF photo assignment...and go to sleep. I'll resize and upload them starting fresh tomorrow. :)

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm reeeeally not one of les incompetents, i promise.

RickyN29 said:
I think it came out great. And I tend to use Priority (Shutter or Aperture, simply to save time) I think 5.6 was about right. It looks like it was a low light situation, so anything smaller (larger f/) would have made camera shake an issue. Anything larger (smaller f/) would have cut the depth of field too small. So I think for the situation, you did absolutely perfect. Oh, what ISO? And what camera? Film I am assuming, and if so, what is tungsten balanced film?

ISO 200, and not film at all. Canon 350D (Rebel XT). I'm surprised to hear that f/5.6 was a good choice...looking back, it seems like a large aperture for broad daylight...but it was overcast and the pigeons and concrete were all dark, so maybe not so bad after all. I find often that when I shoot in aperture priority in low light, the camera tries too hard to create a sunny bright exposure and blows out all my highlights. I'm having much better luck in manual.

Wow I am dumb. I only read your username, PachelbelsCanon350D, like a million times and still it did not register in my mind! I guess what confused me was I could have sworn I saw you say somewhere that you were scanning the picture. So I was thinking either a print or a negative, so film.

That is strange about it blowing out highlights in Av. The 350d is my primary and I have not encountered that. By any chance is the exposure compensation up a few stops? I tend to shoot primarily in Av unless I am working in low light where I try to use Tv so as to minimize camera shake, never any problems.

The situation with the blown out highlights was trying to shoot a coral reef tank at the aquarium. I shot in aperture priority, and the light bouncing off the corals and the brighter fish is way too much. But that is a really tricky situation to shoot in! I have a lot of trouble shooting fishtanks successfully. I'd like to have another crack at it in manual, if admission to the aquarium weren't 26 buckaroos. :grumpy:

birdies.jpg

Most reactions

Back