pinecones

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
just practicing with my manual focus 55mm f/1.2, how does this look?

ISO 160
f/1.2
50mm
1/20sec

pinecones2.jpg

here's one without the white backdrop, same settings:

pinecones.jpg

It's neat, but the focus is weird. Maybe it's because the middle pine cone is in focus...I'm not sure.

Why black and white?

skieur

why not? i like black and white.

Unfortunately good black and white photography does not work that way. There are certain criteria for a good black and white shot and the main one is an image with a considerable range of tones in it from pitch dark with a little detail to bright white without blown out highlights. This shot does not meet this basic criteria and would be considered a throw away by an experienced black and white photographer. Try looking at some top black and white work, if you like it, and learn from the techniques of those photographers.

skieur

Unfortunately good black and white photography does not work that way. There are certain criteria for a good black and white shot and the main one is an image with a considerable range of tones in it from pitch dark with a little detail to bright white without blown out highlights. This shot does not meet this basic criteria and would be considered a throw away by an experienced black and white photographer. Try looking at some top black and white work, if you like it, and learn from the techniques of those photographers.

skieur

how does this not have a high range of pure blacks and pure whites, the first one especially? plus i see no blown out highlights. and this isn't in the critic gallery. this was a test shot if you read the description with my lens that i got in the mail. :lol:
its okay to envy me or whatever it is you have against me, jsut don;t bother me with your time. THANKS! :er:

and this isn't in the critic gallery.

no comments?

:scratch:

Ok, so you are annoyed no one makes a comment....and then when they do you say your not looking for comments? I am lost? Unless we are supposed to only tell you how amazing a shot it is....or be quiet????

Brian

P.S. I don't think its an envy thing. I don't envy you, but agree with skieur, it does not make a good black and white photo.

its okay to envy me ...

Would there be a reason to do so, you think? For someone like Skieur even? I much doubt that. You ask for comments and he took the time to even write a lengthy one, with explanations, instead of "over exposed" (which is the length of comments you seem to prefer to give). Only did he not write what YOU wanted to hear, and if you therefore feel another member holds a grudge against you better think twice about what YOU feel when reading a response that does not meet your expectations.

About "what to focus on"...I'd think the leading endge of the dish/pinecones would have worked. A bit more depth of field as well. This wouldn't be the picture to try out your fast lens. Try a flower or something...those work better with shallow DOF.

Most reactions

Back