Pinholio: Round Two

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Bitter Jeweler, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I made a new pin hole lens from the camera body cap. I used 1" brass tubing to move the aperture farther out to get a full frame image, rather than the circular image from before. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/192321-pinholio.html

The metal for the pinhole is 1/30th of a millimeter. It is very difficult getting a perfect, clean hole. I am very happy with the results. With a little post work, I can see the creative possible uses for this "lens". They look old and Polaroidy. I plan on experimenting with the pin hole and a flash and see what that does. The following images are merely test shots to see the qualities of the lens. I forgot my tripod at work, so I was restricted to what I could rest my camera on. Aiming is hit and miss as well, as you have no preview to work with. It is literally point, shoot, and hope for the best.

Basically, I'm not looking for C&C persay, just wondering if you folks see possibilities with this, or is it just crappy image quality and novelty?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This test shows how much sensor dust there is too. :meh:

2. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's really cool. I can imagine a lot of creative possibilities with this. Have fun with it, and show us what you come up with. Also, mind if you post of shot of the finished 'lens?' Just curious what it looks like.

3. JAFO28

JAFO28 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very cool old look, like you said. Almost looks like the opening of "All in the family" Wheres Archie Bunker?

4. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    I'll have to wait for a "blue sky" afternoon, then I'll wander around the city with only a the pinhole lens. See what I come up with.

Here a quick and dirty of Pinholio.
    I think it's fairly self explainatory, but if you have a question...
    [​IMG]

5. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am not all that familiar with pinhole lenses, but, would moving the aperture out result in not having any infinity focus? It would probably be useful to test with the pinhole and figure out appx. what the focal range is (if there is a place that is at all in focus).

6. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    It's my understanding that moving the pin hole farther away from the sensor, decreases the field of view. It is also my understanding that the thinner the material the pinhole is in, the the sharper the image. I believe a pinhole lens lacks depth of field. One test shot through a window, with a screen on the outside, showed as much detail on the screen no more than 2 inches away as it did on the house 40 feet away.

Does this become pinhole macro photography?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  7. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    Trying to reinvent the wheel are we Bitter. ;)

Imagine how the originators of photography struggled without the knowledge we possess today. I am amazed at what & how many things were discovered & developed by long forgotten folk.

Have fun.

8. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    Hahaha, no. Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Experimenting with the possibility to add another tool to the belt of creativity. Seeking out another voice to add to the choir.

So here is a shot taken 3 inches away from the "water" button, on the door of my refridgerator. 5 minute exposure. Taken in landscape, cropped to portrait.

[​IMG]

This is an LED clock on a coffee maker. The numbers are about 3/8 of an inch tall.
    Pinhole, 1 inch away from subject. Technically, is this macro? This image is full frame, no cropping.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  9. dyyylan

dyyylan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just did this as well the other day! Your version is a little better than mine though, I used a piece of construction paper taped over the hole the lens :lmao:

Have you tried moving the tubing the other direction? my next attempt at this I was going to use an old film canister to go into the body a bit toward the sensor

10. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    A pinhole in the body cap created circular images.
    Example:
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't bother trying to get your pinhole closer to the sensor.

11. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Seems like a lot of effort to go through to then have to forgo use of the viewfinder and metering and take annoying long exposures to end up with soft, grainy looking shots. However I'm sure you'll come up with something worthwhile from it.

12. Bitter Jeweler

Photos OK to edit
    dyyylan, apparently the farther out your pin hole is, the larger it can be. The hole diameter should be 1/100 of the lens length. That means the closer you get, the smaller the hole has to be. Also, the circular vignetting wasn't caused by my original hole in the body cap being too close, it was caused by the thickness of the body cap.

My experiment now deals with, is my current pin hole too small or too large for it's length, and is the hole too irregular in shape. I will apply a small amount of the black paint to the hole, to hopefully help "even" it out and make it smaller and see what that does.

fokker, what's wrong with experimenting with the origins of photography?
    Why do people still buy Holgas? Some people find charm in low tech imaging. "L" glass is easy.