Pixel Mago speedlite first impressions

lambertpix

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using a Yongnuo YN-568EX flash & YN622C triggers for around a year and a half now, and I've been generally very pleased with them - especially at their respective price points. Last week, though, I received a Pixel Mago flash that might be even better, not to mention more affordable. Like the YN-568, the Mago is a "full-size" hotshoe flash with E-TTL and HSS support. Unlike the Yongnuo, though, the Mago has built-in wireless master-slave capability (optical transmission) and offers a whole host of really nice "detail" features that make this feel a little nicer than the Yongnuo to me. I've only had it a little while, but I'm pretty impressed so far -- here's a write-up of my unboxing and initial testing.

I'm still planning on trying to set up some head-to-head tests to compare power output, recycle times, and so on between the Mago and my YN-568, as well as a LumoPro LP-160 manual flash. The Mago claims a GN of 65, which seems a little optimistic, but I'd like to see if I can produce anything resembling an objective test of the power level. Obviously, I'll also learn a lot more about reliability and performance by hauling this flash all over and testing it in the field, but assuming this thing doesn't start my home on fire or anything, this is a really strong entry in the 3rd-party flash market.

I'm impressed.

$IMG_6049.jpg

tell me that OK button rotates...

the modeling light feature is intersting.

tell me that OK button rotates...

the modeling light feature is intersting.

It does rotate. That dial is actually one of the things I found to be just a bit glitchy. It seems to catch a bit, so it's difficult to select just one "notch" up or down. Luckily, I haven't found myself needing it too often yet. Like a hubcap logo, though, it's pretty much guaranteed to be upside-down when you go to take a picture of it. ;-)

The modeling light absolutely falls into the "better than nothing" category, but the first time I found myself actually out in the middle of nowhere with nothing else, it wound up being a welcome addition.

Most reactions

Back