sojerngirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Evening to all-

Canon Rebel XSI
Photoshop Elements

I am running into a problem that I can can't seem to figure out. I haven't had to deal with this for a while and not sure why all of a sudden its happening.

I have a set of food photography photos that I took as a project I am attempting. When I email the file to myself, it is either pixelated or huge. I looked at my camera settings and I have it set at L+RAW.

Looking at the information on the file - states it is size 11.90 mb 3272x2848 or i have one image of it at 4272x2688.
looking at it in the editor it looks fine-even at zoom.

Then I email it......then it's all pixelated.

I tried to save it to web and before it opens I get an error message that it is too large. If I try to export it into a jpeg, that option isn't available.
When I do it anyways and try to save it at jpeg maximum for compression, the emailed file opens as a huge picture that you can't see all of the picture.

There is something that I am missing. Perhaps it's the confusion clouding my thoughts. I realize the file is more than likely to large. Should I should RAW only and not L+Raw? My memory card is a little older than it should be...could that be a culprit?

thanks.
Melissa Argue

This is one photo of the series I am trying to figure out.

Attachments

• Project-Ice Cream-Two.jpeg
    Project-Ice Cream-Two.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 201
What email client are you using?

Do you mean what server I use? I believe this one was Yahoo

No, I mean what client (software on the computer) ie outlook, thunderbird, etc.
I think your client might be resizing them to try to save space on the server....Try downloading and installing Thunderbird.

I don't have any software specific like thunderbird or outlook. I take that back. I recently got Outlook. I've always used gmail or yahoo.com. I can try outlook or thunderbird and see what happens. Perhaps that would solve it.
I am not emailing a client. The photos are just a project I am working on for myself. I email the photos to myself to see how they look if I were to email them to a client.

There's a reasonable chance that the images are pixellated because, somehow, the e-mail client is recognizing the THUMBNAIL for the image; I've encountered that issue multiple times with both Kodak and Fuji printing kiosks, in which the machine will print a horribly pixellated image from the thumbnail on say, one to three percent of the images in a batch...

This might be a Windows-related issue. Are your print files labeled properly and consistently, as in .JPG, and not .JPEG? Are your images all carrying a file extension type?

Anyway, first order of business would be to check the Outlook preferences, and command it to send FULL-sized images as attachments as the default way of sending images. You are sending the images as attachments, right, and not drag-and-drop inserting them into the e-mails you send yourself, right?

Derrel,

You are correct. I am sending the images as attachments. Is there an advantage sending images via outlook rather than directly from yahoo or gmail?

Thanks to you fine friends I believe it's been figured out. When I attached the file there is a box (mac) that was checked to send it window friendly attachments. I unchecked that and made sure it was jpg and not jpeg and voila!.

"This might be a Windows-related issue. Are your print files labeled properly and consistently, as in .JPG, and not .JPEG? Are your images all carrying a file extension type?""

do my images need file extension?

What's the difference between jpeg and jpg?

thanks!!

m_k_a

Yes, your images need a file extension. They'll have one by default when you save them based on the file type.

JPG and JPEG are the exact same thing. In the past, extensions could only be 3 characters, so JPEGs were named JPG to fit the limitations.

Most reactions

Back