pixle confusion

Cdeep04

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
could someone please explain the pixle converison. I dont understand how you know how many pixles to have for the size pic you want, like say and 8x10. I understood that pixle just helped because the more you have the little dot(or pixle is ) to the better resolution.

Perhaps someone could help me think about it in a new light that I just dont see right now.

The 'size' or 'resolution' of your image is measured in pixels. Yes, they are the little dots that make up the image.

On the computer screen, the display is 72 PPI (pixels per inch) or close to it. So for viewing an image on the screen/web (at 100%) a good size is about 800 pixels wide. (800/72 = 11 inches).

Now, when you print, the printer will want (or need) a certain number of dots per inch (DPI)...it's not the same thing as PPI but it's the same idea. A good DPI for most photo applications is 300. So to get an 8x10 print you need a digital image that is 2400 x 3000 pixels in size...a much bigger file than what you need for web viewing.

If your image is size is not that big, you can use a program like Photoshop to make it bigger. You do loose some clarity & quality but you can 'stretch' it a bit before it's too bad to look good.

You can also print at a lower DPI...which means you don't need as big of a file to start with...but the lower you go...the more the dots start to show up.

Well it's mostly math. With a few variables. 1 is the max resolution, I use a D70 so mine is 3008x2000. The next factor is PPI or pixels per inch. That would be how many pixels are in 1 inch.

If you assume that a printer wants 300PPI than 3008/300=10.03 and 2000/300=6.67.

So you get a print that's 10.3in by 6.67in.

That's it really. Unless I missed something, lol.

In terms of what PPI (DPI) looks good for printing, that depends on the shot, and the medium, and the viewing distance, basically it's subjective. Perfectionists will say 300PPI others say 240PPI.

oh ok I totaly get it. Thank you.

I was never sure how the devision worked before.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back