Pixmedics Photo Contest V (AKA: The big one)

We're down to the last week!
As a reminder, the last day for submissions will be Friday the 30th. Any photos posted after the 30th will not be considered.
This contest will have run a month and a half so there's been plenty of time to put something together.

A lot of great submissions already. The ferrets have started their pre judging nap before the official judging nap that takes place before the actual judging, which is immediately followed by a post judging nap before dinner and bedtime. (There's a lot of napping involved for them so they have to get a head start on it)

The clock is ticking, it's time to put up or....i dunno, not put up?
Whatev's.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

For Love of the Game

IMG_0684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Last day!
If anyone has been saving their entry for the last minute, now's the time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

love seeing so many kid shots.
its really hard to do better than a child for conveying emotion.
just seems to be natural for them.

as soon as the ferrets wake up, we can start the judging process.
hopefully we can reach concensus before the weekend is over

havent forgotten!
finally off shift, consensus has been reached, stand by for details...

so many great shots, so few gift cards to give away...

before I post the results, I want to take a few minutes to discuss the contest itself.

first and foremost, as I try to state at the beginning of all my contests, although we do so by the grace and blessings of the TPF administration, (thank you @terri) these contests and prizes are a private deal done by the wife and I and are not a forum sponsored event. This is why the winner is chosen by us personally and not by votes.
secondly, like all contests that revolve around someones personal views of something, our contests are subjective. Me and the wife often have different photos that we "like" the best, but ultimately we have to come to consensus on one photo that we can agree best fits the theme. this is not always the best "technical" photo, and sometimes we have to pass on a photo that we personally like better for a photo that we ultimately feel better suits the theme. It can be quite the conundrum.
the double theme of this contest made the process even more difficult because we not only had to decide how well each photo fit into the "portrait" category, but also what sort of "emotional response" the picture elicited/portrayed to a third party with no prior knowledge/connection to the subject.
both are at least partially subjective, but ultimately we had to make a decision on both the "portrait" and "emotional response" criteria.
As a final note, I was asked about the actual judging process so ill go ahead and post it here...

basically, this is how it works.
I keep a loose eye on the thread from the time its posted to answer any questions, bump the thread, add additional info if needed, etc etc.
the wife, who isn't really active here anymore, typically doesn't look at the thread until I tell her its time to make a decision.
once the deadline has been reached, me and the wife will go over the thread a few times individually at our earliest convenience to form our own, separate opinions. once we are both sure we are familiarized enough with the entries we will gather the ferrets and sit down together to discuss which photos we felt best fit the theme. Usually by the time we get together we have narrowed it down to maybe two pictures each. sometimes our choices overlap, sometimes they are very different. we will discuss why we made the choices we did and the merits of each photo until we can agree on one photo that we can declare the winner. after that, its just a matter of getting on and updating the thread and finding the youtube video of kermit.
well, there it is.
I hope that clears things up a bit and everyone has a better understanding of how our contests work.

I knew that was going to win, congrats!

Most reactions

Back