Pixmedics Photo Contest V (AKA: The big one)

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by pixmedic, May 24, 2017.

1. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I love that this photo won. It wasn't necessarily a curated shot, as I was having dinner with one of my best friends and his new beau, and after dinner he showed me these cheap mood lights that he had just purchased from Ikea that he was planning to set up in his kitchen underneath the cupboards. I had my camera with me and asked if we could experiment with the lights and see what sort of images we could come up with. The overall quality of the image isn't that great because of a high ISO setting and I have a tendency to under expose all of my photos, causing a decent amount of noise on my old 5D MKI. The impact of the shot overshadows any technical flaws for me, and I'm glad I didn't trash the shot for not being technically perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of course I was rooting for me Hhaha but the best photo won. Great choice and well done Dan.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. goooner

goooner Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats Dan, great shot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chuasam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would love to hear about the judging process and the thought that goes into it if you don't mind.
    And great choice of winner by the way. :D

5. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

did you miss post #40? or did I miss something you were interested in knowing about?

6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's fantastic! Sounds like fun and your generosity is just, over the top! They're fun to participate in. I like the planning, journaling, and the challenge to execute. For me, it feels like I am trying to improve the art of my photography. Even though I didn't win, I had a great time and enjoyed seeing all the contributions. Thanks again for all your time and generosity.

7. chuasam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wanted to know more about the emotional response to each picture.
    I wanted to hear about the laughter and the joys to each image as it was being reviewed.

8. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    that's a toughie....
    im not going to go over each individual critique here, but i will disclose some of our trade secrets, including a generalized breakdown of how we reach consensus. Its a proprietary algorithm I like to call, processus autem certamine victor eligens, but for the purpose of this post it will hereby simply be known as "the process".

I would like to preempt this dissertation with a warning and disclaimer: These contests are strictly the wife and I's (mine and the wifes? me and the wifes? the wife and me's?...#%@$... @limr help me out here please!) personal opinions in an already very subjective medium.
    if you are prior entrants and/or feel you might be offended by my explanations of our subjectivity, please read no further. you have been warned.
    if you are not easily offended and wish a bit of insight into "the process", then full steam ahead.

so, as you know, (if you read post #40) the first part of "the process" is us simply going over the pictures by ourselves, at our own pace. this normally happens over the course of a day in between other things.
    this part is more of a "rule out" more than "picking a winner".
    If you have read the full post of my more recent contests, you will also know that the contests are less about technical perfection and more about theme appropriateness and creativity.
    so...ill go ahead and use this contest as an example. (last chance to stop reading if you think you might not like why your particular picture didn't win)

first up is the initial culling process...we feel there's no point in sitting down together to discuss things until we have narrowed our own choices down to a max of 2-3 pictures.
    sometimes we have photos that are our favorites because we really like them, that we wish we could have taken, but are not necessarily the "best" for the theme.
    please bear in mind that even within photography, the term "portrait" itself is pretty subjective. everyone has their own ideas, and its no secret which end me and the wife lean towards. some pictures ranked lower because we felt they fell more into the "snapshot" category than the "portrait" category. some pictures ranked lower because we felt that while they might have had an emotional value to the photographer, (maybe a family member) to an outside party looking in, it didn't evoke that same feeling. in some cases we were not even sure what "emotional response" we were supposed to be feeling, or was being projected.

@DanOstergren came in strong right out of the gate, but the red tint gave us some pause right up until the end.
    for me, @zombiesniper just killed it. I was like, holy shite...i wish i had a shot like that in MY portfolio.
    and @PhotoriousMe had another of my personal favorites.

the wife on the other hand, favored @adamhiram bubble mower shot, as well as Dans, despite her aversion to the red lighting.
    @smoke665 was also high on her final list with the fuzzy.

now, since you brought this up @chuasam ill get to yours, and since you asked for it, I hope you will take this in the spirit in which it was given, with is with much respect.
    you should have won man. you had it. everything we love about portraiture. its a brilliant portrait. we assumed this was a cancer patient/survivor?
    but....the wife noted early on that there was just something missing. the expression? her head placement? a cancer awareness pin?
    we never really pinned down exactly what we felt was off, only that there was just....something, keeping us from really feeling it.
    in the end it came down to your shot and Dans, and in the interest of full disclosure, if you want the 100% honest-to-Zeus truth...
    Dans shot really hit us in the feels, and yours did not.

well, there it is...
    I hope I haven't been too offensive, but thats "the process" for this contest.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats DO! I was planning to enter but was intimidated by your entry and instead stayed on the sidelines.

10. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You could have beat me! Next time you should enter for sure.

11. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When in doubt, avoid it completely and re-write :)

"These contests and their rules belong strictly to my wife and me."

"These contests are run strictly by my wife and me."

• Like Like x 1
  12. zombiesniper

zombiesniper The camera takes the Pic. I just point the way. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Thank you for the kind words.

It's also cool to read the process involved.