place to buy camera suggestions

user3977

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok, i know of the ada and bh to get gear from. but what about places like bestbuy? i ask about them because i am getting ready to purchase a 50D and like the accidental damage insurance they have. basically i was told by the sales rep that in the last few months of the policy to just trash it and they cover it 100%. that is a little shady to me and just makes things more expensive for everyone but i do like the idea that if something does happen i can just take it to the store and have it fixed. or should i buy from an actual camera dealer?

I would strongly recommend buying camera gear from a 'real' camera store. Big box stores such as Best Buy make a LOT of their money from the extended warranties they sell and eployees are under a LOT of pressure to sell them; yes, they sound like the all-singing, all-dancing proection plan, but I know several people who've tried to collect on them (for legitimate issues) and had no luck. They have so many loopholes that it's virtually impossible to get the promised coverage should you need it.

A real camera store will provide you with lots of advice, and can explain the pros and cons of a variety of bodies, lenses and accessories. Something that big box stores can't and won't do.

I know you mentioned BH, but I would highly recommend going with them.

I would strongly recommend buying camera gear from a 'real' camera store. Big box stores such as Best Buy make a LOT of their money from the extended warranties they sell and eployees are under a LOT of pressure to sell them; yes, they sound like the all-singing, all-dancing proection plan, but I know several people who've tried to collect on them (for legitimate issues) and had no luck. They have so many loopholes that it's virtually impossible to get the promised coverage should you need it.

A real camera store will provide you with lots of advice, and can explain the pros and cons of a variety of bodies, lenses and accessories. Something that big box stores can't and won't do.

Im not saying he should go to best buy, but i got a replacement camera on their black tie warranty, turned it in to them, few days later they called and said we cant fix it so come get a new one. went in and got a new one, no questions asked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back