Planning a Trip to Africa.... Could Use Some of Your Advice

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just found out that I have an opportunity to accompany a friend on their business trip to Africa. There are still a lot of unknowns, like which country! Chances are it will be either Tanzania or Zambia. Their office headquarters will be in the capitals. It all depends on the company's need. It will be for a 2 week stay. I’ve been to Senegal and The Gambia several years ago and had a wonderful time, but have always wanted to go back to a more interior look.

Although I have quite a few stamps in my passport, this will be the first time traveling with more than a P&S. The gear that I will be taking are a gripped D700, 14-24mm (arrives tomorrow
clap.gif
), 24-70mm & 70-200mm (all f/2.8), SB-800 (only one I think), monopod and the usual suspects like extra batteries, memory and such.

Because of all the potential hassle with all the gear as carry-on, the rip off of checked baggage charges and just the burden of lugging it around, I am considering to have it shipped to my destination via FedEx or whomever. Would this be a smart move? I mean, this way I’ll only have to concern myself with my clothing as carry-on…. and maybe the D300 and a couple of primes for inconspicuous shooting.
mwink.gif
haven't decided on the 300mm yet.

Once I have more details and likely more questions, I will pass them on for more insightful advice.

Thanks for your help. Oh yeah……. I’M PRETTY EXCITED!!!

My african experience is old now and not the kind of thing that would help you. Sorry.

And I haven't been on a plane since the december problems so I can't really help you from personal experience but I can tell you that my friends who fly to jobs, rent the gear locally. Yes, some people have shipped it to the job but they decided to rent soon enough because they pass the cost to the client and their own gear is not getting abused.

From what they tell me, DO NOT take so much gear that you can't have it in your carry on. And make sure and call the airline you're flying to figure out what the deal is today with camera gear and carry ons :grumpy:

In the meantime, here's an interesting article on the subject:
Flying With Camera Gear Post 25 Dec, 2009

Enjoy Africa, if not the flight...

Cheers cloudwalker.

Renting is not out of the question, but I am an hobbyist and this is certainly not a paid gig. The thing is.... I have some good gear (IMHO) and want to use it. Why the hell shouldn't I? This is prime time, baby. :biggrin: From my previous trip to Africa, it's not difficult to aquire a minder. This is my anticipation for the upcoming trip. As far as I know I will have solid contacts for such a thing. I've always had a tendancy to NOT go where the tourist go and always try to hang out with the locals. I don't see this trip to be any different. Yeah, I've been in some dodgy places and yeah, I've met some dodgy characters, but I have only been robbed once in my travels. Well, the other time I was drunk on my ass and it was only money and a few bruises. The minder that I hired in The Gambia was very concerned with my well being. In fact, at the time I was there, a student riot occured. We were told not to leave the compound, but my minder saw me through some of the worst parts of town without incident.

I have already read the link you provided, but thanks for brining it out again for others to read.

I have been to Kenya, Tanzania, and Zaire. I love Africa and the people. I, however, would definitely NOT ship expensive camera gear there! Good chance you will never see it again. I would hand carry it with me. If you want to go on a safari tour, you need something longer than 200mm on FF body and something lighter. Honestly your D700 set is just too big and heavy to me. Not to mention it could be a thieves target. Something like a D90 with a 10-24mm and a Nikon 70-300mm VR would be good. Remember 300mm on a DX body is like a 450mm. That ought to pull in the animals from far. Have a fun trip!

I never like to put all my eggs in one basket. I have always packed at least one lens and one body inside my main luggage suitcase, so that it is well-padded from the luggage handlers and the whole airport load,unload,luggage carousel routine. Lens separate from the body, packed inside clothes and bubble-wrapped. Some stuff comes carry-on with me, for the overhead compartment. In this way your risk is minimized.

i'm sorry i don't have any advice to offer you, but I just wanted to comment and say how lucky you are! what a wonderful opportunity!! If you get to go to Tanzania you'll get to go to the Serengeti! how amazing, have fun!!

It really depends on where you are staying, who you are staying with.

I'm going to Kenya in september for 3 months, I'm staying at a eco-lodge where I will be working. I'm taking all the gear I can with me. Simply because I know once I get there it will be safe. Its the travelling I am worried about.

Africa isn't as dangerous as it is made out to be. If you know the right people.

Cheers cloudwalker.

Renting is not out of the question, but I am an hobbyist and this is certainly not a paid gig.

I realize that and I believe that you are good to go if you take your gear as carry-on. Just have to make sure you can carry it on :D

I, however, would definitely NOT ship expensive camera gear there! Good chance you will never see it again.

I wondered about that. In some countries it just isn't the best idea. I never send anything to France by way of the post office for example. Theirs is too often on strike and things disappear at those times :lol:

I have always packed at least one lens and one body inside my main luggage suitcase

A little risky considering how much luggage doesn't get to were it's going and how many things disappear from the luggage :grumpy:

Africa isn't as dangerous as it is made out to be. If you know the right people.

I agree and was certainly not trying to say that it is in normal times. At least not anymore than anywhere else. I happened to be there to cover war and riots so my experience was a bit different.

But, K, it sounds like you've experienced that somewhat yourself so, enjoy the trip. Any way to make it a pay job like maybe by spending a day shooting some missionaries/church's project?

Having called Transat recently, here is what they say:

Carry on:

1. Camera case must be smaller than any other carry on luggage and there is a measurement restriction.

2. One DSLR size camera. Point and shoots and cell phones don't count.

3. One or two small auxiliary lenses.

4. The camera case is in addition to other carry-on luggage allowed.

skieur

You can probably take most of your gear in a carry-on, weight becomes the issue before size. See how much you can pack before being overweight. Usually you can have another "personal item" A laptop bag, camera bag, purse etc. so hopefully you can divide your gear between the two. I would look up the carry on policy for each airline, and print that page and take and keep it with you, that way if there is any dispute you can hand them their own rules and hopefully find a quick resolution.

Also, If you are traveling with another person, you could have them carry some gear if you need extra room.

BTW ....

I think your 70-200 might be a bit short for wildlife photography. Even with a 1.4X Tc, that's short for wildlife. I would suggest at least 300-400mm (maybe a 300mm with a 1.4x TC would make the most sense in terms of carry-a-bility if that's a word).

OMG, kundalini, what a FANTASTIC opportunity. :boogie: I'm green with envy. (And I'm hoping this doesn't affect other travel plans you were working on for 2010 :raisedbrow: )

I was in Tanzania and Kenya in '06. My longest lens was 200. It was 'adequate' for my safari pics, but I would definitely have liked 300 or more. You actually get fairly close to many of the animals while on safari...at least my group did.

While on the safari, your gear should be safe enough, and I personally don't think the weight of your gear would be an issue (if you're used to the weight when shooting here, why would it somehow be 'too much' in Africa as you travel around in a Landrover on a safari?)

In town is when you're more likely to be robbed (ie in Nairobi I was told to not even cross the street to stand at the entrance to a park to take a pic as it was too dangerous. Maybe things have changed now in Nairobi, but I doubt it). Just use common sense re keeping gear with you, and out of sight, as much as possible. And ask a local/concierge/business associate how safe is the area where you'll be.

As for getting your gear there, my suggestion would be to take it with you. I wouldn't trust my gear to be shipped safely, and to be there when I arrived. I wouldn't ever check any of my gear as I have heard far too many stories of stuff stolen from checked bags. Even with the new security concerns, it seems you can travel with a carry-on bag now, which would include things like a laptop (if you're taking one) and your camera gear. I'd rather arrive there with no clothes than without my photo gear. (Clothes could be quickly and cheaply replaced on arrival if a bag were to go astray). A pelican case offers good protection while travelling or if you'll be around water, but they are very clunky and uncomfortable/awkward to use as your primary way of carrying your gear when you'll be shooting. IMO.

Other considerations: depending on whether you'll be away from civilization for several days while on the safari, take lots of extra batteries and memory cards as you've already mentioned. You might also want to look into solar rechargers (I recently got one that has a USB and a blackberry connection on it. Haven't actually used it yet though).

You are going to have an amazing time. You lucky buggah.

For what its worth I just got back from a trip to South Africa traveling along the coast and shooting pics, left a couple days before new years and came back Jan 10, and I had no problems whatsoever taking my stuff as a carry on. I took my backpack with my laptop and other travel necessities and then my camera bag with me, one body and 3 lenses in the camera bag and security people didnt give me any flack about it.

I would definitely say NOT to ship something that valuable to Africa and hope its waiting for you there, and depending on which airports you fly through you are taking a risk with putting things in your checked luggage. I was told in advance to make sure I had a TSA approved lock on my checked bags because the airport I went through had been known for those type of issues, and it didnt matter either way cause when I got my bag back the lock had been cut and did NOT have the required TSA slip that they leave in there if they search your bag. Whoever went through it stole 1 DVD and left everything else, I was soooo happy I didnt have anything valuable in there.

I am super jealous as well, I had no idea what to expect on my Africa trip and it turned out to be one of the best trips of my life, it is an absolutely amazing country.

Good luck and have fun!

Ijust got back from a trip to San fran (flew from Calgary, AB) with more or less exactly the same gear you have (D300s vs D700 and 12-24 vs 14-24). I had no issues at the airport taking it on the plane except that I had it in a Tenba messanger bag (laptop shoulder bag) and no laptop. I put the laptop in my checked luggage... so I fished out the laptop, put it in the bag... and done. There aren't any restrictions on taking a camera on a plane. I know its an issue, but since you are probabyl carrying ~$8k of camera gear I'd carry it on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back