Planning to pickup a 40D...lens combo?

Im taking the D-Slr plunge shortly. Graduating from the S3is :)

I think the usual path would be to pickup the kit lens (18-55is) and get another 55-200 for tele.

What if I went with a single Canon 28-135is as my first lens to save money?? Im mostly into landscape and the occasional birding (will add a telephoto for this in the future).

This way eventually I could work towards a 10-20 and 55-200 as time passes and my bank balance builds up.

Will I be losing out a lot if I dont have an 18mm? Considering the max iv had before in P&S was 28... ?

Hi Tuck!

I have a 40D body for sale that's in Like New condition if you're interested. Only 8100+ clicks on it.

Here's my ad here on TPF.

-Jim

Thanks for the offer dustcloth, appreciate it. I live in Asia so the logistics of the whole thing isnt worth it for me. Good luck with the sale!

The 40D is still on my radar... price and availability is the key... Otherwise might drop on the D80 Nikon.

I bought my 40D new with the 28-135 kit lens. Seemed a good deal at the time, but I should have bought the body only. I absolutely hate that lens. The focal length range of it is not optimal for the 40D and the build quality sucks, image quality is...so, so. It zoom creeps, its plasticy, it is not a lens for me. Just my thoughts.

Derrick

I bought my 40D new with the 28-135 kit lens. Seemed a good deal at the time, but I should have bought the body only.

Congrats Derrick! Iv decided to sell a kidney and go with the 40D. Hope to have her by the weekend.

How much did you pay?

Iv sort of scored a deal for the 40D + 18-55is + 55-200is @ 1115$
Memory & a good bag will probably set me back a little extra.

Remember Im buying in asia, prices fluctuate a lot and most often the retailers in the USA cannot be beat.

Congrats Derrick! Iv decided to sell a kidney and go with the 40D. Hope to have her by the weekend.

How much did you pay?

Iv sort of scored a deal for the 40D + 18-55is + 55-200is @ 1115$
Memory & a good bag will probably set me back a little extra.

Remember Im buying in asia, prices fluctuate a lot and most often the retailers in the USA cannot be beat.

I paid around $1250 for body and 28-135 if I remember correctly. Bought from B&H Photo last June....before the release of the 50D, so prices were not what they are now.

Thanks for the update, looks like the advent of the 50D has caused certain sellers to offload 40D stock at attractive prices :)

Update, I went with the 40D 18-55+55-250 IS lens combo :)

Most reactions

Back