planning to shoot a model, a few questions:

nickisonfire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well a few weeks ago I put out an ad on craigslist looking for an amateur model so I could practice shooting with a model. A girl contacted me asking me if there was any money involved and I told her no and explained how I would give her a CD with all the shots on it. We agreed to a 1.5 hr shoot this week.

My questions are:

#1 How many images should I give to her in the end? All? Just the best?

#2 Should I give her both the processed RAWs and the originals?

#3 Is there any contracts or anything involved if I want to post them on flickr or on here?

Thanks in advance.

My personal preference ..

#1 - Only give her the images that you would want everyone to see, since she's probably going to show everyone and put them on her myspace; you don't want bad pictures going up.

#2 - I wouldn't give her the RAW'S because unless she's a photographer herself, she probably won't know what the heck they are.

#3 - Just ask for her permission, if she's under 18 I think you might need a parent to sign something so you can put them on the internet. (Not 100% sure).

Get a Model Release. Do a search for one that may suit you better. "Getting permission" is not sufficient, have it in writing.

I would only hand over your final images and you retain copyrights.

Get a Model Release. Do a search for one that may suit you better. "Getting permission" is not sufficient, have it in writing.

I would only hand over your final images and you retain copyrights.

+1 - A verbal agree is worth the same as the paper it's printed on. I would also write down the terms, that is, what you're doing, what she's entitled to, what you expect, and the terms of use of the images for both of you. Agree with the above, don't give out the RAW files.

Yes, model release is a must.
It might also be helpful if you discuss in advance the shots that you'd like to take, use of the images, etc.
Don't give her the RAW files. Because if you do, expect a call from her and she's gonna complain that she can't open the files on her computer. :)

I would get a model release and license the images .. get paid for the shoot just not by her. I have a number of models I work with that dont have a problem with it .. all they honestly care about it looking good on facebook and myspace .. it doesn't cost them anything and after a few months I have ended up making hundreds off the shoot.

I would get a model release and license the images .. get paid for the shoot just not by her. I have a number of models I work with that dont have a problem with it .. all they honestly care about it looking good on facebook and myspace .. it doesn't cost them anything and after a few months I have ended up making hundreds off the shoot.

How are you making money off the photos? Selling them on a stock site?

Get a model release. In addition be sure to DISCUSS where the images will posted, purposes and why's and where fors of the contract. The industry is flooded with Craigslist Model/Photographer horror stories. Said stories can be prevented by clearly explaining and discussing rights and usage. I am exceptionally generous and have the model pick the best from the images I have flagged. Then post process her faves. A lot of photographers pick the 4-6 best and call it good. That is perfectly acceptable. Jpgs are the norm and or provide (a limited #) of prints. RAW files or TIFF's are a little dangerous. Kind of like giving away your negs. Again get a cup of coffee and discuss ALL the details before the shoot.

I could go on for hours about the rad experiences I have had. Look at Model Mayhem the quality of models is slightly higher. Craigslist is dodgy to say the least. My book to date is the proof craigblankphotography.viewbook.com | models (could use a slight update). Only getting better...

Love & Bass

How have you made hundreds off the shoot? Let's see your book.

Last edited:
Get a contract, with the detailed terms, along with a model release. Only give her your best, edited images. Dont give her unedited, raw files.

Isn't there a new law in the US that says that you must have a copy of the model's proof of age. I think I read that you must have an actually paper copy on file at the primary business address...or something like that. Some people were quite upset about that because it would mean a whole lot of storage space.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back