Plastic Lens mount on Canon EF lenses?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by soylentgreen, May 29, 2007.

1. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Has anyone heard of a plastic mount being used on a Canon lens? A co-worker of mine was browsing on the good-old web for a new camera deal and found a site I never heard of that offered a deal too good to be true. Something like $950 for a Canon 30D with the EF-S 17-85 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM lens kit. I informed her it had to be a scam since B&H and other more reputable sites had it at around $1400. She called up to order the kit anyway (bad idea) but informed that this kit had the plastic lens mount. She will have to "upgrade" to the metal mount if she wants. She did not place the order ( thank goodness). I only bring this up as this is not the first I heard of this plastic mounting though. I know Sigma or Tamron have metal coated plastic mounts on some of their lenses, but never heard of a Canon lens using it. Especially any of there newer ones.

2. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 28-90 kit that comes with a Rebel k2 is plastic. I would know since i dropped it while mounted to my XT and it broke....... luckily the metal mount of the xt was fine but bye bye plastic kit.

3. Stretch Armstrong

Stretch Armstrong TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are several on line stores based out of New York City that are running scams in my opinion. They advertise crazy low prices. When you order they try to sell you the rest of the stuff that would have come with it had you bought it from a reputable company.

Be careful. Check them out. Remember, if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

4. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon EF 50 1:1.8 MK II is plastic mount
    Canon EF-S 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 MK II is plastic mount. Both my lenses have a plastic mount. It's no big deal, it attatches to the camera without wiggling. Unless you are tough on your camera you don't need a metal mount. I did mount a metal mount lens to my camera once, didn't attach any smoother or anything, just looked nicer.

5. cloose

cloose TPF Noob!

As stated above, there are some lenses that have a plastic mount, but there are not plastic or metal mounts as options to the same lens.

The "deal" is a scam.

6. jmaguire123

jmaguire123 TPF Noob!

Putting asside the "you get what you pay for" saying for a moment, are any of the Canon professional "L" EF lenses actually made with plastic mounts (the part that connects the lens to the camera body)?

Gery Market / Imports or otherwise? Any?

I am trying to help out a friend of mine to get one of these and I want him to get the best price, but most of the shops out of New York with which I have spoken to who advertised very cheap (e.g. $699) prices refused to give me the model numbers of the "plastic" mount versions and quickly quoted prices greater than B&H for the "metal" versions. Same story with many in the $900 range.

I didn't ask about lens hoods etc, but I read somewhere that all L's are supposed to come with hoods, can anyone verify that claim? I have read that some of these shops split the stuff your supposed to get and sell the components individually.

One other "trick" that I have seen is that one company seems to be behind several (e.g 3+) websites all quoting different prices (within a $200 range). I only figured this out because the same voice on the automated telephone menu system said that they (3+ stores) were closed for the Easter holiday.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

7. jmaguire123

jmaguire123 TPF Noob!

Have any of you ever bought a lens off the internet from one of those new york shops and received non-genuine goods?

8. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No 'L' series lenses have plastic mounts.
    Only the low priced lenses have them to keep the price down.
    As said above no lens made has a choice of Plastic or metal mount.

9. rob91

rob91 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    http://search.newyork.bbb.org/reports.aspx?pid=44&page=1&id=68047

That may be a good lot of them right there.

10. jmaguire123

jmaguire123 TPF Noob!

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit